Duck crop impacted with oyster shells

Spotgieter

Songster
Apr 24, 2021
1 yr old, female pekin, laid her first egg with no shell. We took her to the vet 2 days later, because she hadn't laid another egg and we were afraid she was egg bound. Doctor found no egg and x-rayed and discovered that her crop was impacted with oyster bits. I saw the x-ray and the crop was completely full.
Vet said to give her 2cc's of olive oil twice a day and if she wasn't better by Monday (tomorrow) he'd perform surgery.

I'd freeze coconut oil and then crumble it up and give to her in bits. Is she still drinking and eating? Does she have access to grit? If she doesn't, then I'd get some grit to her asap.

She hasn't eat much the last 2 days. Today, she's very lethargic and doesn't talk or make noises. She just drinks and sleeps. She's in the house now. Doctor said to not have her outside. I thought grit would be bad, because the oyster bits are the same size as grit.

She hasn't eat much the last 2 days. Today, she's very lethargic and doesn't talk or make noises. She just drinks and sleeps. She's in the house now. Doctor said to not have her outside. I thought grit would be bad, because the oyster bits are the same size as grit.
Yes, grit could do more harm than good at this point. I was not thinking correctly when I suggested that. My apologies! I would keep feeding the oil and start massaging the crop down gently. Do that few times every hour. I would make sure she keeps drinking. Maybe try adding the oil to her water.

At this point I am not even sure massaging it down would be a good idea if the crop is completely full.
@Spotgieter did the vet mention massaging after using the olive oil? I'm not trying to contradict you @AidKD just want to make sure the vet was adding massage to using the oilve oil.

At this point I am not even sure massaging it down would be a good idea if the crop is completely full.
@Spotgieter did the vet mention massaging after using the olive oil? I'm not trying to contradict you @AidKD just want to make sure the vet was adding massage to using the oilve oil.
Understandable, all the bases need covered! I'm no expert!

I wasn't told to massage the crop...so, I did that and it actually worked!!! She let me do it too lol she enjoyed it so much! Poor baby....she made a little sound and I just kept massaging for half an hour and she turned around completely! I am so happy....we did not want her to have surgery. I just massaged her again before I tucked her in 😄🥰

I wasn't told to massage the crop...so, I did that and it actually worked!!! She let me do it too lol she enjoyed it so much! Poor baby....she made a little sound and I just kept massaging for half an hour and she turned around completely! I am so happy....we did not want her to have surgery. I just massaged her again before I tucked her in 😄🥰
That's awesome! I'm so glad that it worked for her!

Back
Top Bottom