Duck crop impacted with oyster shells

She may have wet feathers since she was soaked. If you think that a possibility you can wash her in dawn make sure to rinse her well then keep her out of water a few days so she gets the oils spread over her feathers real good to get water proofed again.
I'm afraid to wash her with Dawn. What if she drinks the soapy water or if it gets in her eyes?
It has been a few days now and she still gets wet feathers. We've been keeping her inside and she started laying eggs again, but they don't have shells. I'll attach a picture from the one she laid today.
After she lays these naked eggs, it takes about 30 minutes and she gets very quiet and her breathing gets heavy and you can tell she's trying to get the shell out.

I forgot to attach

Attachments

• 20230619_184441.jpg
    20230619_184441.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 5
What calcium are you using? If you don't have calcium citrate or calcium gluconate I'd recommend either of those. She needs extra calcium if your offering oyster shell she must not be eating enough which happens. Mix the calcium citrate or calcium gluconate into a small amount of treat so she gets the full dose.
This is in reference to a chicken laying weird egg but it has good info on what to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-mildred-deflated-eggs.1577896/#post-26815821
As for wet feather many wash their birds in dawn to help them through wet feather. You'll just have to make sure she doesn't drink the water. As for getting it into her eyes use a wash cloth for the head.

What calcium are you using? If you don't have calcium citrate or calcium gluconate I'd recommend either of those. She needs extra calcium if your offering oyster shell she must not be eating enough which happens. Mix the calcium citrate or calcium gluconate into a small amount of treat so she gets the full dose.
This is in reference to a chicken laying weird egg but it has good info on what to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-mildred-deflated-eggs.1577896/#post-26815821
As for wet feather many wash their birds in dawn to help them through wet feather. You'll just have to make sure she doesn't drink the water. As for getting it into her eyes use a wash cloth for the head.
Thank you, Lydia. She was in a bad way last night and she was sleepy and quiet. I held her for a while before I put her to bed. This morning she was vocal, but still sluggish. My husband and I are taking her to see the vet today.
We stopped giving her oyster shells because of the impacted crop. I've been giving her egg shells that I pulverized in the food processor. I will buy the calcium citrate and gluconate for her and I will also do dawn with her bath. I'll let you know what the vet says.

I'm glad your getting her to a vet. look forward to hearing what they say.
First, I need to say her GIZZARD was impacted and not her crop. I was confused 😕
The vet isn't an avian vet, but he has seen many ducks and he's never had a duck that laid several eggs without shells and didn't know what to tell us. He didn't give any suggestions about the wet feathers. He said she may be stressed and to give her a few days. He also said she needed to be outside for Vitamin D and grass and bugs.

Wow that wasn't much help. Her gizzard is okay now right?
How is she doing today? Of course she needs sunshine so nothing wrong in having her outside as long as she is happy and not being picked on. She also needs extra calcium like the cal citrate or calcium gluconate daily to get her shells strong.

Yes, her gizzard is OK and she's eating, drinking and pooping.
I'm ordering the gluconate. Is powder better or liquid? In giving her 1 tbsp of egg shell powder now.

I have never used the powder just the liquid. It may just depend on how you want to use it I give it by mouth but if powder you could mix it into a treat like chopped water melon or tomatoes main thing is she get full dose.

Back
Top Bottom