Duck crop impacted with oyster shells

I have never used the powder just the liquid. It may just depend on how you want to use it I give it by mouth but if powder you could mix it into a treat like chopped water melon or tomatoes main thing is she get full dose.
I'm buying the calcium today. I was hoping to find it at the local stores, but they didn't carry it. I have to go through Amazon or maybe Chewy will have it. I read that when the preening gland isn't working that it's a sign of vitamin A deficiency. Please tell me how dawn helps with the feathers.

Remember when they have an oil spill and to help shore birds with getting the oil off they use dawn detergent. Even on the bottle of Dawn there is a picture of a duck. Dawn removes the oils off the feathers and then after washing them in it you keep them out of water for a few days then once back into fresh clean water they start the preening process and put back the oils they need to waterproof their feathers. Evidently it dawn strips all oils dirt etc and gives the duck a new start.
When you rub your finger over her preen gland no oils come off? or can you see the yellow around her preen gland that is the oils they spread over their feathers
TSC carries Calcium Gluconate, most stores that sell vitamins should have calcium citrate with D .

Last edited:
Her feathers have improved. I have the liquid calcium magnesium citrate with D. How much do I give her? She's still laying eggs without shells.

Her feathers have improved. I have the liquid calcium magnesium citrate with D. How much do I give her? She's still laying eggs without shells.

I'm not sure if this is super helpful, but I would aim for a dosage of about ~500mg of calcium citrate. That seems to be what most pills have which we just started trying on one of our girls who is having a very similar issue as your girl. I would check on the label and measure out an appropriate amount.

Are you planning on spreading it on treats or giving it to her orally?

I am wondering if her impacted gizzard is cause she didn’t have grit to help her digest feed
Not all yards have little stones or sand like wild birds find
I keep a few bowls full beside the feed for my ducks in case they don’t find any in the yard
She may have been eating the oyster shells like like a grit not finding real grit
I use durvet calcium and was able to order it off Amazon as I’m in Canada and my farm stores don’t carry it here
@BelovedBirds was not able to get it in the uk and went with another type
Powder or pills. Maybe she can help

I'm not sure if this is super helpful, but I would aim for a dosage of about ~500mg of calcium citrate. That seems to be what most pills have which we just started trying on one of our girls who is having a very similar issue as your girl. I would check on the label and measure out an appropriate amount.

Are you planning on spreading it on treats or giving it to her orally?
Spreading over treats. I hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom