Duck wing amputation - signs of infection?

Fawkes

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2011
My duck had a tumor on her wing that kept rupturing and bleeding. To remove the tumor her whole wing had to be removed.

The surgery was on Wednesday and I'm a bit concerned about infection. She's on SMZ liquid antibiotics and metacam for pain/inflammation and I'm rinsing the wound with peroxide every day.

Does anyone know if this is healing correctly? I'm just not sure what it should look like 2 days after surgery, how much swelling is normal, etc.

The full body pic shows what she looked like on Wednesday, as a comparison. Sorry if these aren't the best pics, I can get more later.

Attachments

• 20240112_123325.jpg
    20240112_123325.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20240112_123310.jpg
    20240112_123310.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240110_144631.jpg
    20240110_144631.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 21
Don't use Peroxide. It eats away skin cells and can effect the healing process. I would use a saline rinse instead to clean it, and possibly clean it 2-3 times a day. Also, keep her separated in a clean place where there's no way for her to get that spot dirty.

To me, it is looking fine. Are there any follow-up appointments? It might be best to talk to your vet about anything concerning this surgery.

Don't use Peroxide. It eats away skin cells and can effect the healing process. I would use a saline rinse instead to clean it, and possibly clean it 2-3 times a day. Also, keep her separated in a clean place where there's no way for her to get that spot dirty.

To me, it is looking fine. Are there any follow-up appointments? It might be best to talk to your vet about anything concerning this surgery.
Hydrogen peroxide cleans out wounds and kills bad bacteria.

My duck had a tumor on her wing that kept rupturing and bleeding. To remove the tumor her whole wing had to be removed.

The surgery was on Wednesday and I'm a bit concerned about infection. She's on SMZ liquid antibiotics and metacam for pain/inflammation and I'm rinsing the wound with peroxide every day.

Does anyone know if this is healing correctly? I'm just not sure what it should look like 2 days after surgery, how much swelling is normal, etc.

The full body pic shows what she looked like on Wednesday, as a comparison. Sorry if these aren't the best pics, I can get more later.
😮 Poor girl. I had a duck with a paralysed leg and walked around with its leg dragging. A duck with one wing shouldn’t be too bad. Wish you and your duck good luck.

Hydrogen peroxide cleans out wounds and kills bad bacteria.
My information on Hydrogen Peroxide is from a plastic surgeon when my Mom accidentally sliced a side of her hand off. It helps, but it shouldn't be used as a daily cleaning, especially if it's not extremely dirty (pooped on, etc.) Keeping the duck in a clean space should eliminate the chances of it getting dangerously dirty. ;)

My information on Hydrogen Peroxide is from a plastic surgeon when my Mom accidentally sliced a side of her hand off. It helps, but it shouldn't be used as a daily cleaning, especially if it's not extremely dirty (pooped on, etc.) Keeping the duck in a clean space should eliminate the chances of it getting dangerously dirty. ;)
Agreed, it is slightly toxic so using daily on clean cuts is a no.

Back
Top Bottom