Duck wing amputation - signs of infection?

Hydrogen peroxide cleans out wounds and kills bad bacteria.
But you don't keep using it over and over.
Don't use Peroxide. It eats away skin cells and can effect the healing process. I would use a saline rinse instead to clean it, and possibly clean it 2-3 times a day. Also, keep her separated in a clean place where there's no way for her to get that spot dirty.

To me, it is looking fine. Are there any follow-up appointments? It might be best to talk to your vet about anything concerning this surgery.

Don't use Peroxide. It eats away skin cells and can effect the healing process. I would use a saline rinse instead to clean it, and possibly clean it 2-3 times a day. Also, keep her separated in a clean place where there's no way for her to get that spot dirty.

To me, it is looking fine. Are there any follow-up appointments? It might be best to talk to your vet about anything concerning this surgery.
:goodpost:

I use POVIDONE IODINE diluted with some water
It is used on the skin to decrease risk of infection. This medicine is also used as a surgical hand scrub and to wash the skin and surface of the eye before surgery to help prevent infections.

My duck had a tumor on her wing that kept rupturing and bleeding. To remove the tumor her whole wing had to be removed.

The surgery was on Wednesday and I'm a bit concerned about infection. She's on SMZ liquid antibiotics and metacam for pain/inflammation and I'm rinsing the wound with peroxide every day.

Does anyone know if this is healing correctly? I'm just not sure what it should look like 2 days after surgery, how much swelling is normal, etc.

The full body pic shows what she looked like on Wednesday, as a comparison. Sorry if these aren't the best pics, I can get more later.
It looks very good to me.
Just keep it clean and make sure she's alone so no other ducks pick at it. Keep her toe nails very short too to prevent her from scratching as it heals.

Thanks! Good to hear it's looking OK. I'm kind of paranoid about her. Her poop is small and green with not much solids to it, which indicates she's not eating well. At least it shows that she's eating something though.

I'm having to keep her in her aviary outside with her 2 friends as I dont have a pet-free space indoors right now. The aviary is low on sand (I've been meaning to get another sand delivery), so in some places it's just dirt. Which is not nearly as "clean" as sand is.

The peroxide is what my vet advised, but yeah, i thought it might disrupt the skin's healing process. He said I could put neosporin if I wanted, but that she'd probably pick at it.

I'll make some saline solution and get povidone iodine if that would work better. How much do you dilute the ioine?

Veterycin
Thanks! Good to hear it's looking OK. I'm kind of paranoid about her. Her poop is small and green with not much solids to it, which indicates she's not eating well. At least it shows that she's eating something though.

I'm having to keep her in her aviary outside with her 2 friends as I dont have a pet-free space indoors right now. The aviary is low on sand (I've been meaning to get another sand delivery), so in some places it's just dirt. Which is not nearly as "clean" as sand is.

The peroxide is what my vet advised, but yeah, i thought it might disrupt the skin's healing process. He said I could put neosporin if I wanted, but that she'd probably pick at it.

I'll make some saline solution and get povidone iodine if that would work better. How much do you dilute the ioine?

Veterycin is another good product and you wouldn't have to touch the wound just spray. It's great for wounds and infection. TSC carries it.

Great! So I picked up the povidone iodine and a spray bottle today. Tomorrow I'll get the vetericyn.

I'm hoping maybe she starts eating better tomorrow. She still seems to be drinking OK.

I think I missed someone's question above about followup appointments - my next appointment with the vet is in about 1.5 weeks when he'll be removing her sutures.

Great! So I picked up the povidone iodine and a spray bottle today. Tomorrow I'll get the vetericyn.

I'm hoping maybe she starts eating better tomorrow. She still seems to be drinking OK.

I think I missed someone's question above about followup appointments - my next appointment with the vet is in about 1.5 weeks when he'll be removing her sutures.
The gel Vetricyn spray is better than the regular one by the way. Hydrogel it's called I believe. It keeps the wound moist longer.

Back
Top Bottom