Successful duck surgery!

@tatswell Our little one is due for surgery next Wednesday to remove some foreign objects (mostly a coin and a few other metal objects) I am curious how you prepared Tegan for this surgery. Any insight into how the overall procedure is monitored? Type of Anesthetic that is best? I am trying to do my best to make sure our feathered baby is as safe as possible. Any insights you can share with your success story will be greatly appreciated.

I am happy to announce my one year old (birthday today!) has had a successful spay surgery.
Why would anyone spay their duck? - For myself, the answer is because she is my pet and I value her as my family. I understand some may not agree.
Tegan had a bad case of egg yolk peritonitis. I thought I caught it early- but she hid her pain well.
My only option was euthanasia or attempted spay.
Her surgery was last Friday, she came home yesterday and is doing quite well- bright, vocal, and peppy.
They removed 2lbs of egg yolk from her stomach! Two, freakin, pounds!
Just wanted to put this out there as I know there is not much regarding spayed ducks- which is of course an incredibly risky surgery.
If anyone has any questions or would like more iinformation feel free to ask.
*Way to go Tegan! Good duck!* (On our way home from the vet yesterday)

@tatswell can you update on your duck and give us info on what type of anesthesia they used to sedate her.. Thanks

I am sorry to hear about your duck. I do not know what kind of anesthesia, but I know she was out for about 5 hours. I will email the vet tonight and they'll respond early morning and I will get back to you. If it's any help at all you can also call Kensington bird and animal hospital in Kensington, CT and ask about Tegan the duck. She's pretty well known
1f601.png
Dr. Sinclair was the vet who performed the surgery. But I will email also and ask about the anesthesia.

Also- 3 years later and Tegan still rules the free ranging roost here at good duck farm. You can see photos of her on our good duck farm Facebook page.
The vet said she would likely need an implant every 6 months (like a birth control) to prevent her from laying eggs- she has not needed it in 2.5 years!
Let us know how your baby is doing
2764.png

@tatswell appreciate any information you could gain. It would be nice to go in at least knowing some things. I've done a lot of reading but it's hard to find people who have had the surgeries done...guess not too many stories about avian pets.

Was she in surgery for 5 hours or it took her that long to wake up?

Surprisingly I haven't gotten an email back- I am sorry I don't have any answers for you. They are really great there and definitely give them a call if you have technical questions about her surgery. She was in surgery for a few hours at least. She was the first to go in in the morning, they called at 1130 saying she was still in surgery, then again at 1 saying she was out of surgery and waking up.

I
@tatswell Our little one is due for surgery next Wednesday to remove some foreign objects (mostly a coin and a few other metal objects) I am curious how you prepared Tegan for this surgery. Any insight into how the overall procedure is monitored? Type of Anesthetic that is best? I am trying to do my best to make sure our feathered baby is as safe as possible. Any insights you can share with your success story will be greatly appreciated.
know it’s been a while but how did your ducky surgery go. Hope all went well.

Back
Top Bottom