Sudden aggression after laying resumes

That’s what I’m hoping, because if so, then it would be temporary. PMS is a novel concept for me as I have no personal human experience with it, but I’ve heard stories. It would be hilarious if I had a hen with PMS! Then I’d have stories to tell, too 😄
Well, it's just a hormonal surge.
Happens to humans more frequently(monthly) than in chickens.

The hormonal side of things makes sense. How that translates into odd behavior (or not) is the mysterious part.
Think how rambunctious pullets get when they first start laying,
same thing can happen when older birds come back into lay after winter break.
Hormones are what trigger egg laying.

Think how rambunctious pullets get when they first start laying,
same thing can happen when older birds come back into lay after winter break.
Hormones are what trigger egg laying.
No kidding :lol:

I thought pullets were supposed to calm down once they start laying, not the opposite... Or at least that's the usual story on BYC threads. Maybe it's more individual than that. Some get rowdy, some chill, others don't show any difference in behavior. Mine weren't rambunctious at all when they first started laying, and right now out of the ones in the process of resuming, the hen that actually laid has shown no change in behavior at all, it's just the one that's about to resume that's flown off her handle. The others are acting normal, too. Joining in if she initiates some BS, but not starting trouble on their own. So I'll chalk it up to individual variation, likely related to the impending egg-laying (in other words, PMS :p).

No kidding :lol:

I thought pullets were supposed to calm down once they start laying, not the opposite... Or at least that's the usual story on BYC threads. Maybe it's more individual than that. Some get rowdy, some chill, others don't show any difference in behavior. Mine weren't rambunctious at all when they first started laying, and right now out of the ones in the process of resuming, the hen that actually laid has shown no change in behavior at all, it's just the one that's about to resume that's flown off her handle. The others are acting normal, too. Joining in if she initiates some BS, but not starting trouble on their own. So I'll chalk it up to individual variation, likely related to the impending egg-laying (in other words, PMS :p).
How are they doing today?

How are they doing today?
Much better! I'm keeping the injured hen in the coop for the first half of the day, so she can have access to the nesting boxes in case she wants to lay again (nobody else is laying yet, so I don't care about them being locked out). Then in the afternoon I move her out to the run partition. Today when I moved her out, for the first time since the attack, the bully showed no interest in her whatsoever! Wohoo!!! The injured hen wasn't pacing back and forth along the fence trying to get to me after I left, either. She no longer looks nervous to be near the flock. There's hope!!!

I have a question... not sure how many people would see it or if I need to start a new thread. So right now the injured hen sleeps in the basement at night (~50 degrees), and spends the day outside. It's been in the 30s and 40s outside for the past few days, but today it's 13 and won't get up much higher than the 20s. Is it too shocking to her system to be moving her in and out like that? It's better for her than potentially being re-injured if she sleeps with the flock, or stressed if she sleeps in a crate in the coop... But she's otherwise healthy. Am I messing her up by doing this back and forth? Especially today when she'll be going from 50 to low teens?

What I think I would do, is hang a piece of cardboard, to split the roost. Then place her on the roost, with the rest, maybe with a friend, or by herself. This will hide her in the night, and once they settle, they should pretty much stay in place.

Then you don't have to mess with bringing her back and forth.

Mrs K
This would work for the night while it's dark and/or they are asleep. But in the morning when they all jump down, she'll be unprotected... I can't get to them right as they wake up.

I just had another idea though. Since they are much calmer around her now, I can bring the crate into the coop tonight, cover the top with a feed bag so she doesn't get pooped on (it will only fit under the roosts), and cover the long side with clear plastic so they can see her but not peck at her through the wire. I'll leave the short side with the door uncovered. Then I can put her there for the night. It's a large crate so she has enough room to retreat from the uncovered side if they still try to peck her. Then in the morning when they all come out, I'll close the pop door and let her out of the crate so she can hang out in the coop by herself again.

Back
Top Bottom