Sudden Agression and Pecking

Picture of the inside of the run as well. There's really not much in there for them to do.

Any suggestions?

Also, I realize this is now in the wrong sub, so I so apologize.

Attachments

• PXL_20210416_170411735.jpg
    PXL_20210416_170411735.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 6
You have a decent amount of stuff in there, considering the space you have to work with. Is there a reason there's 2 waterers? Might want to get rid of one for sake of space.

I'd consider moving the feeder a little more towards the middle, so the birds can go all the way around it, so it prevents birds from getting trapped in a corner and also functions as a little extra clutter. Put feeder #2 in the opposite "corner" of the run.

Last edited:
You have a decent amount of stuff in there, considering the space you have to work with. Is there a reason there's 2 waterers? Might want to get rid of one for sake of space.

I'd consider either moving the feeder a little more towards the middle, so the birds can go all the way around it, so it prevents birds from getting trapped in a corner and also functions as a little extra clutter. Put feeder #2 in the opposite "corner" of the run.
I've actually removed one waterer. It still dips below freezing at night here so the hanging heated waterer stays. I've added a 2nd feeder and they are at opposite ends. They do spend all day scratching and pecking. I've ordered the no-shock hen pen from Premier1Supply so I can make an impromptu run extension, it just has to have a canopy of some kind over it.

I've spent the entire day watching them and there was only one scuffle, and that was when everyone was jockeying for food. This was before the 2nd feeder.

As for being backed into a corner, that is exactly what caused the fight last night. The dominant hen wanted her food and the victim had nowhere to go. I'm hoping this is the solution.

Yesterday was encouraging. Despite one minor scuffle early in the day the birds actually behaved for the remainder.

A friend brought by a modular fence panel and we made a small run extension. It wasn't much but the birds were pumped. The 2nd feeder also helped a lot with issues during feeding time.

I'm not out of the wood but its encouraging to see that boredom may have been the cause and I just need to work harder on keeping them entertained and distracted.

I'll have many more uneasy days and restless nights worrying about wether or not I'll be there to rescue my hen if one of them were to draw blood.

Just an update. Re arranging the run and giving them a bit of time in the run extension has worked really well. It's been three days since there's been any pecking. There's still some food related agression but putting the feeders in more strategic areas so they don't get bottlenecked has helped. Switched then a mix of 16% and 19% protein feed for a little boost and cracked opened a fresh bottle of ACV. So far there there's some harmony. The victim (Ladysmith) seems to have gotten the hint and gives Pumpkin (the boss) a wide berth.

We will continue to watch them closely for any relapse but I feel like we're on a good trajectory.

2 month update. I expanded the run even further with the step in hen pen, and all was well, for a time. The battery died on my ChickenGuard and the girls got locked inside , and because I work shift work they weren't let out until around noon. Let's just say there was a war. All were missing feathers, and boss hen was injured.

Spent a week nursing her back to health, she seemed to have some head/neck injuries , possibly sprains or bruising. She healed up fine and was back to herself...sort of.

Only now shes worse. She has it out for one hen in particular, the only one she bullies, and she will not relent. Her behavior has changed to distancing herself from the others but remaining very territorial regarding food. I'm beginning to suspect she may have recieved some kind of concussion or brain damage from the brawl. As of now, nothing works. Distractions, the extension, treats, protein, hanging cabbages, clutter, perches. She is just all out mean.

So, reluctantly, we are going to re home her to a free range farm where she will have no confines, and there's a chance she may find herself better behaved with a rooster in her company and perhaps some much larger alpha hens to put her in her place.

I really hope I'm making the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom