Sudden blood in yolk

GambaDawn

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
Central California
Hey all, I have read a few posts here, old, about blood in the yolk, but none of them are complete. Here’s a pic of the two eggs I cracked this morning, one was laid today, with blood in them. What occurs to make this happen, is my hen okay, and is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I did have a rooster, we just sold him three days ago, in case it’s because of mating..
The one egg down in the sink drain there was a ton of blood, covered half the yolk, dark and thick. The other had two smear lines. Any answers are appreciated!

Attachments

• EABBF590-F19A-4400-96E7-FB3240CE8327.jpeg
    EABBF590-F19A-4400-96E7-FB3240CE8327.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DA6E2ED3-7E74-4271-ADC9-D51FCC059011.jpeg
    DA6E2ED3-7E74-4271-ADC9-D51FCC059011.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 13
The yolk with smaller streaks, I'd have no problem eating, and I've gotten a few one offs like that. The other one is pretty unappetizing though, so can't blame you for tossing it.

Blood spots and meat spots aren't terribly uncommon, and can be caused by stress, sudden physical movement (like jumping off a high roost) or even genetic predisposition.

The yolk with smaller streaks, I'd have no problem eating, and I've gotten a few one offs like that. The other one is pretty unappetizing though, so can't blame you for tossing it.

Blood spots and meat spots aren't terribly uncommon, and can be caused by stress, sudden physical movement (like jumping off a high roost) or even genetic predisposition.
Ugh, I couldn’t eat either one! The one that I dumped in the sink was really bad. They all are newer layers but with consistent laying for about two months now those were a first. Thanks for the info I wasn’t sure if she was ill or if my aggressive rooster that I just got rid of had injured her.

This one is definitely alarming.
1608728369165.png

Is the white partially cooked...opened it into pan?

Good reason to open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe.

If you get another like that, put it on a white plate for pics.
But hopefully you never see another.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Yes, blood spots. Aart's video gives a good explanation of that and many other things. Blood spots have nothing to do with a rooster, the hen had an oops when she created the membrane that covers the developing yolk and put a blood vessel in the wrong place.

These two links talk about egg quality problems. Commercial operations have the same issues but their quality control removes these problem eggs before they go in the carton. They don't want to surprise their customers. We can remove eggs with external faults but we don't candle them for internal problems so it is best for us to open our eggs into a separate bowl.

Egg Quality Handbook

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

Sumi – Egg Quality

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Back
Top Bottom