Sudden Chicken Death Syndeome (SCDS)

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
Just trying to figure out what happened. I have a mixed flock, cockerell and 7 (now 6) pullets. One was an RIR. Yesterday she was doing all the chicken things, this morning she was in a nesting box when I came out before I started work. No problems, she looked and acted normal.

When I came out after work, she was dead in the coop. The other chickens weren't acting skittish like they do if a predator (usually a snake) has gotten into the coop, and in fact when I went in and found her one of the others was laying an egg, totally unconcerned.

I know snakes will try to swallow a chick, starting with the head, but that would be one massive snake, to try to eat a 7 pound chicken.

No sign of parasites, but I don't know what I'm looking for, either. Muscles were firm and rounded, so I don't think she was hungry.

No visible injuries or blood.

I buried her, but it's bothering me. She hasn't been lethargic or acting sick. The only thing I can think of is some kind of injury. SCDS?

I didn't think of doing a necropsy before I buried her. My main concern was getting her away from the other chickens in case she had something contagious.
I had a pullet die around her first birthday. She was hanging with her flock roosting on a low branch in their favorite pine tree in the afternoon. When I went to lock them up in the evening, she was found lying under the same tree, no marks or signs of illness. It can be a common thing sometimes for that to happen, so I would not worry. Just observe your chickens a bit more watching for anyone separating themselves, spending time in a nest box, or who has any symptoms of illness.

I am sorry for your loss.
If you lose another I highly recommend sending it for a necropsy.

Fatty liver disease kills with no signs or symptoms.

What exactly do you feed your flock?

Last edited:
I just noticed you have another thread about losing a rooster.
When did you lose him?

I am sorry for your loss.
If you loss another I highly recommend sending it for a necropsy.

What exactly do you feed your flock?
It's a prepared commercial feed I get from the co-op, and they free range.

Interesting. I just went and did some research on that. She was just a little over six months old, but she did have a habit of laying shell-less eggs. There is calcium in their food and they also have free choice calcium in the run. They do free range, so definitely not a sedentary life, and no corn, but looking at the symptoms it's a very definite possibility.

Back
Top Bottom