Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

Pics
I'm so glad I found this thread. I just lost my sweetest, favorite chicken, a 1 year old black bantam cochin, Tiny, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened to her. Went to give the girls some treats this morning, and she was dead in the run where she liked to take dust baths. No wounds, no sickness...just the day before she'd been running around with the others in the yard, just a happy little butterball. I still can't think about it without crying. I can't help getting attached to critters, even though I know they don't live forever. I just felt so broken-hearted and guilty, like maybe she wasn't feeling well and I could have done something. But I know she was fine. It's a bit of a relief anyway to know they sometimes just die for no reason, but that doesn't make it any easier to bear. =(

Hugs to all of you who have been through this too.

I'm also sooooo happy I found this thread. I "adopted" 5 hens from a lady who had sold her farm near my home. One was a Plymouth barred rock . I always loved them and was thrilled to have one. This morning I went out to the coop to let the flock out and found her dead on the coop floor. Needless to say I'm really upset. I've had them for over a month and they've all been happy, spoiled and healthy. Just yesterday she was following me around the yard being nosy about everything I was doing. It was so cute. I had just begun to get her to bond with me and now she's gone. It sucks. I just hope all the others don't start going as well.that's my biggest worry.

Our biggest and rosiest buff orpington - Ginny - just died today.
sad.png
She was 8 months old and had been laying consistently for a couple months now. Such an awesome chicken...we all love our chickens...but our middle daughter is most heart broken over it. Just a few days before her birthday. The rest of the flock seem well and unaware. I'm sure they'll notice when they get put inside for the night. Poor things.
sad.png

I too am happy to find this thread, and want to extend condolences to all by fellow chicken lovers who have lost their pets. I am new to raising chickens and in an area where no one else keeps them. One of my 8 month old Buckeyes seemed fine the night before when I put them to bed (I have three), but arriving home from work at 5 the next day and letting them out of the coup, I found her by the water bowl drinking and drinking, not interested in scratch at all. Frantically reading posts I thought it might be a stuck egg, so I did the warm bath, lubricate, massage, even tho she looked perfectly healthy and I couldn't feel an egg. By then it was dark, I put her in the roost with the other girls. I found her dead at 6AM when I checked. So sudden and very sad! It's nice to hear all of you speak of your chicks as pets, as I feel the same!

Well, I just had my first experience with SCDS and it was one of my prettiest hens too! She was fine when I let them out this morning and after work she was laying on the floor of the coop. I checked her out all over as she was still soft and everything seemed ok, so I have no idea. Good thing I didn't breed her like I wanted to. She will be missed though.

I'm still having a hard time finding one of mine dead yesterday!  She was 8 months old and laying up to 5 eggs a week on a consistant basis.  She too was well fed, happy....then puff! Sorry dsmdaryl, I DO know how you're feeling /img/smilies/sad.png

I too just found my best hen dead :( My favorite girl, my best egg layer. 8 months old and the biggest and healthiest hen (or so I thought.) We recently got rid of our rooster and she was his favorite. Could she have been heartbroken? She had lost her feathers from him mounting her and then with him gone the other girls picked at her but I never saw anything disturbing or unhealthy with her.

My daughter is going to be heartbroken and I am now really worried about my other hens. Are her eggs ok to eat? I am soooooo sad.

yeah i remember that happing to our little bantam that we all love ( always the nicest one it gets) just dropped dead one night, worst of all when we decided to have a funeral with all my kids and cremate her on a bonfire My dad popped round cos he said he could smell the barbique from his house it had made him hungry. Don't think we have ever had a barbi with chicken on it since, probably scarred the kids for life. lol.

I've had a few adult chickens seem absolutley healthy one moment then dead the next. it really is a sad thing especially when they don't show any signs of being sick they just drop. :( Most of the ones that did this where older (3-5 yrs) but I did have a 12 week old chick just quit on me with out any signs that something was wrong.

I got 14 Red Broilers 9 weeks ago. I'm down to 12 now. One I had to put down because she was born with a leg defect that she couldn't overcome. I lost a Roo today from SDS. He was a genetic freak. His feathers grew twisted on his wings and tail and he had one leg that was slightly longer than the other one. He was found this morning laying dead by the feeder. He was in good condition. Looks like he was eating and suddenly dropped dead right there. I knew there might be problems with the faster growing meat birds, but its still disheartening to find on of your birds dead. The 12 left have about 3 or 4 weeks to go. I hope they do well............................................

Last edited:
I just lost my Bantam Barred Rock hen Julia Child last night. She was out free ranging in the yard just 24 hours before. Really afraid she "got into something" and the others did as well. But so far the rest are OK. She was my biggest hen and laid the largest eggs a whopping 1.4 ounce's. ~:> Still crying, feeling guilty as if I could have saved her. But I have had her since she was three days old. I wasn't feeling the best yesterday so I didn't go out and check on them as much as I usually did, so naturally I feel it is my fault.
hit.gif
They were all 8 months old yesterday. It was just unexpected. My Roo (Big Bird) seems to know I am sad because he insisted I hold him and usually he pecks me. They all seem to be sad today, very vocal. I have read they mourn just like we do. It makes me feel a little better knowing this happens quite a bit for no apparent reason. But still very sad nonetheless. Thanks for joining my pitty party. ~:>
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom