Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

my little chick just dropped dead yesterday. She was warm and cuddled up in her blankets. i had fed/watered her less than half an hour ago, went out to get lunch and came back to her lying still in her bed. She was 4 days old, and seemingly healthy

my little chick just dropped dead yesterday. She was warm and cuddled up in her blankets. i had fed/watered her less than half an hour ago, went out to get lunch and came back to her lying still in her bed. She was 4 days old, and seemingly healthy
Welcome to BYC. So sorry for your loss. :hugs

I had two just die on me this week. They were pretty young still and I am thinking one had a little bit of problems anyway. The first one seized and died in my hands... the second one was fine running around in the brooder just doing it's normal everyday thing. At 2:30 AM when I checked them all They were all fine.... Always check on them before bed and when I wake up and have to go into the living room. Woke back up at 7:30 AM and went to go to the brooder to feed them and it was there dead. Sad but there is a funny part. A hen who is a week older was sitting on it.... Just sitting there looking up at me. SO I don't know if she thought she was a smaller bird and sat on it to stay warmer or if she sat on it after it died thinking her friend was cold and wanted to warm it up. I am sad I lost this chicken, but I think it was so funny how the other looked up at me like sitting on a cold dead bird was a normal every day thing. Worst part is I hatched this egg for a friend from his hens.... I had to call him and tell him one died... I know he is used to things like that happening I just hated to have to do it....:barnie

I lost 2 baby chicks in a row. One at about 4 weeks old. Got another baby so the surviving chick would not be alone. That replacement chick died about two weeks later. So, I am on my third replacement chick. Very upsetting. Today, my four-month-old, older chick is looking lethargic. I am feeling that the worst is to come. And, she has been raised since 3 days old. This will be very heartbreaking if she doesn't snap out of it. My four girls are very pampered. They have an inside coop in my son's bedroom. It is kept immaculately clean. We built a run outside for them. They only go out there under supervision. But, they are out there sometimes all day. They eat the proper diet drink fresh clean water always. They are handled and loved. I just don't know what else I can do. I am new to this chicken raising thing. I did it for 4-H, for my children to show the chickens and, of course, to have some delicious eggs of my own. I don't know if I have a heart strong enough for this. It seems that chickens just can die so suddenly with no warning. It just may be too much for me to handle. Anybody else feel that way?

I lost 2 baby chicks in a row. One at about 4 weeks old. Got another baby so the surviving chick would not be alone. That replacement chick died about two weeks later. So, I am on my third replacement chick. Very upsetting. Today, my four-month-old, older chick is looking lethargic. I am feeling that the worst is to come. And, she has been raised since 3 days old. This will be very heartbreaking if she doesn't snap out of it. My four girls are very pampered. They have an inside coop in my son's bedroom. It is kept immaculately clean. We built a run outside for them. They only go out there under supervision. But, they are out there sometimes all day. They eat the proper diet drink fresh clean water always. They are handled and loved. I just don't know what else I can do. I am new to this chicken raising thing. I did it for 4-H, for my children to show the chickens and, of course, to have some delicious eggs of my own. I don't know if I have a heart strong enough for this. It seems that chickens just can die so suddenly with no warning. It just may be too much for me to handle. Anybody else feel that way?
So sorry. :hugs Can you post a picture of the sick ones poop?

Attachments

• 20171203_145655.jpg
    20171203_145655.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 3
I am also treating their water with corid. I just got home after being gone 3 hours. Her comb has nice color again. She came and hopped on my shoulder from her cage as usual. She is outside pecking and scratching like normal. But, I am sure that picture is her poop. There was one other pile identical to that. And, the other poop in the cage is from her sister and totally looks normal.

one of our buff orpingtons was found dead in the morning on the roost. 11months old, no signs of anything. she was sent to for a necropsy report.

I am also treating their water with corid. I just got home after being gone 3 hours. Her comb has nice color again. She came and hopped on my shoulder from her cage as usual. She is outside pecking and scratching like normal. But, I am sure that picture is her poop. There was one other pile identical to that. And, the other poop in the cage is from her sister and totally looks normal.

This is poop later today. Normal. She is also acting normal. Good comb color. I hope she is on the mend and I won't be sad in the morning.

Attachments

• 20171203_163654.jpg
    20171203_163654.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom