Sudden Death - any ideas what happened?

kirakarla

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
A two-year old black australorp chicken of mine was healthy and laying yesterday. Today I found her in the nest box unable to stand. I picked her up and she began vomiting yellow bile and died violently immediately afterward. Her comb was not discolored but not the vibrant, healthy red it was yesterday. My concern is for the rest of my flock. I think I can rule out coccidiosis and Marek's. Any suggestions or ideas what might have happened?

A two-year old black australorp chicken of mine was healthy and laying yesterday. Today I found her in the nest box unable to stand. I picked her up and she began vomiting yellow bile and died violently immediately afterward. Her comb was not discolored but not the vibrant, healthy red it was yesterday. My concern is for the rest of my flock. I think I can rule out coccidiosis and Marek's. Any suggestions or ideas what might have happened?
Sorry for your loss. I have never dealt with this before, but from what others have said in the past I think it could have been sour crop. Did the bile smell bad at all?

Thanks for the response. I have never heard of 'sour crop,' what are the symptoms?

Sorry darwinchooks - I forgot to mention your suggestion was right on point! Her bile smelled horrible.

Hmmmm, after reading the symptoms of sour crop I'm not so sure. She definitely didn't have a lump in her crop, but is it possible she could die from one that was too small for me to feel?

Hmmmm, after reading the symptoms of sour crop I'm not so sure. She definitely didn't have a lump in her crop, but is it possible she could die from one that was too small for me to feel?
I don't think that would be likely. But I'll do some reading and see what I can find for you.

Back
Top Bottom