Sudden death in ducks?

kiwichicky

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
This morning I have gone out to let my Pekin Ducks out and two of them were dead :( I can see no outward signs of trauma, no blood or anything. One was a 4yr female and the other 4mth old drake. Yesterday the drake seemed to choke on his food and vomited up whole pieces of maize and liquid but seemed ok after that. The female was fine. I don't suppose there is anyway of knowing the cause but I'm worried about feeding them the maize in case it was contaminated? But then I guess the others would be sick too.

Where I am, I can take a duck's body to the university where there is a veterinary pathology lab - they will do a necropsy.

Sad for your loss.

Are they getting more than maize? I would sniff the bag.

Last edited:
This morning I have gone out to let my Pekin Ducks out and two of them were dead
sad.png
I can see no outward signs of trauma, no blood or anything. One was a 4yr female and the other 4mth old drake. Yesterday the drake seemed to choke on his food and vomited up whole pieces of maize and liquid but seemed ok after that. The female was fine. I don't suppose there is anyway of knowing the cause but I'm worried about feeding them the maize in case it was contaminated? But then I guess the others would be sick too.
where do u live, i would call whoever is in charge of poultry and get them tested for avian influenza. :( sorry for your losses

We live in New Zealand. I've done some googling and there doesn't seem to be any local information about avian flu. I am waiting to hear back from a vet. Another one has died overnight :( my husband doesn't think it is the maize as the chickens eat that too and no signs of illness with them. The other possibility is they have been poisoned I guess.

We live in New Zealand. I've done some googling and there doesn't seem to be any local information about avian flu. I am waiting to hear back from a vet. Another one has died overnight
sad.png
my husband doesn't think it is the maize as the chickens eat that too and no signs of illness with them. The other possibility is they have been poisoned I guess.
Very sorry for your losses. please let us know what the vet says.

Back
Top Bottom