Sudden Death In Two Ducks

If it is a toxic plant you can dose with food grade activated charcoal
@Miss Lydia may have more info on this
Because you kept them inside and still lost another one I’m thinking maybe the toxic plant is the problem
Or if they have been digging they may have pulled something out of the ground
Thank you, yes I was thinking the same thing. Predators can still get in the pen (it's just a part of the garden we have fenced off) but there are no prints in the dirt and the rest of the flock seem calm. They have been wandering off into the farmer's field lately as there is a big puddle they like to play in, I'm thinking that could have had bacteria/algae. Very sad but no more deaths since (touch wood!)

Thank you, yes I was thinking the same thing. Predators can still get in the pen (it's just a part of the garden we have fenced off) but there are no prints in the dirt and the rest of the flock seem calm. They have been wandering off into the farmer's field lately as there is a big puddle they like to play in, I'm thinking that could have had bacteria/algae. Very sad but no more deaths since (touch wood!)
If that farmer uses pesticides as well

The most common chemical that kills quickly with few symptoms is rat poison.I would be asking my neighbor if he has put poison out if you suspect your ducks were poisoned
Mole bait has the same ingredient, Bromethalin

Egg binding, organ failure, heart attack and Salphingitis kills suddenly with few symptoms. Hopefully you can rule out some of these.
Thank you, we don't have direct neighbours and our garden is surrounded by a single large field so I think we can rule out rat poison. It could be heart attacks if they have been scared but there is no evidence of predators and someone, was around all day. The ducks that died were all female so can't rule out egg binding/ Salphingitis but 3 within 48 hours seems unlikely. I guess we won't know for sure unless we ordered an autopsy, but the remaining ducks are happy and eating/drinking and it has been a full week now so will just have to keep a close eye on them.

Hi, yes we do have a small rhubarb in the
I have yet to lose a bird to rhubarb, and I grow lots of it.

Unfortunately, I did recently lose two ducks to avocado poisoning.

They died in a period of two days of each other. They would still drink, but they weren't eating. They were somewhat lethargic but could manage small amounts of high output when I captured them. When they died, their legs were outstretched behind them and their heads were craned over their right shoulder. Seemed strange that they both passed in the same pose, so I just figured it was typical for that type of poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom