Sudden Death In Two Ducks

bubbleberry

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2013
I have a flock of Khaki Campbells and most of them are around 6 or 7 years old. Today I got home from work to find two dead on the ground in different parts of the garden. One was on its back under a shrub and the other was face down in the grass. No mark on them or any feathers around so I'm very confused. The rest of the flock are unharmed but very quiet.

Two weeks ago one of our chickens was taken (again, no evidence or feathers) but the other chicken had a lucky escape and had feathers missing.

I'm so confused, we have had birds killed by foxes before and even had incidents with stoats and buzzards but they have all left clues.

Any ideas?

I'm in the UK and this has happened during the day. Surrounding us is just farmland and no neighbours. Someone was in all day and they didn't hear anything going on and our dog doesn't seem to be picking up any scents.

Hi, yes we do have a small rhubarb in the
Do u have rhubarb growing in ur garden? Asking because certain plants can be toxic to ducks....did you use any pesticides on ur garden?
We do have a rhubarb plant but they have been in the same garden all their lives and never touched it before. Some of the leaves have been eaten by something but could be slugs or ducks- I can't tell. We kept them in their pen but lost another today. She died suddenly and was on her back :(

I've only been raising ducks for less than a year but have much experience with chickens and quail. Whenever I started raising the quail I Googled all plants /trees toxic to poultry. Ducks are unable to have rhubarb...geese are unable to have ferns. I give my quail apple tree limbs, it's the only tree in my yard I can use. Ducks will even consume nails or change, and will make them ill or.. ..

Damn...so sorry about ur ducks. I really dislike loosing my birds, makes me sad. Have u got any survivors? I wish I could tell you all the meds 2 give them but I don't want to lie to you tho luv. There are folks on here that can tho...

With your history of losses from foxes I would assume they've come back. As to the ducks I seriously doubt they both died from poisoning on the same day from rhubarb. Its more likely the predator was scared off and the ducks died from heart attacks.The attack on the missing chicken and others that lost feathers would cause great stress to the ducks if it came back.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-26 3.18.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-26 3.18.01 AM.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
With your history of losses from foxes I would assume they've come back. As to the ducks I seriously doubt they both died from poisoning on the same day from rhubarb. Its more likely the predator was scared off and the ducks died from heart attacks.
That's what I originally thought too, but I kept them in their pen yesterday and found another dead on its back. The others seem to be OK and it's not a large enough space for them to easily get away from a predator.

That's what I originally thought too, but I kept them in their pen yesterday and found another dead on its back. The others seem to be OK and it's not a large enough space for them to easily get away from a predator.
Unless you have a camera you might miss them being harassed by a predator.That chicken didn't fly away or pull feathers out of your other hens.Its likely all related.

Back
Top Bottom