Sudden death of Cayuga duckling ???

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, I'm hoping the forum can help troubleshoot this duckling's sudden death just now. She was about two months old, 5 lbs. There was some niacin deficiency last month which was corrected for the most part. I put her with her flock out to their enclosed swimming area about two hours ago. There was some commotion like they were being attacked, lots of honking and wings. I went to investigate and didn't see any predators, but this one Cayuga looked listless or drooping, staying in the water when the rest of the ducks exited the water. A few minutes later I checked again and she was dead. There doesn't look like any trauma on the body. I've seen 5-6" bass or bluegill fish in their enclosure before, but can't think how they would pose a threat to a 5lb duck. I also saw some hawks flying overhead. Any ideas?
IMG_20231001_080928543.jpg

oh no i’m so sorry. perhaps the hawk got very close and they all panicked. Maybe she twisted her neck in the flurry . there’s absolutely zero wounds on her no puncture wounds?. they can be hard to find. I had a runner duck once that got caught in fencing, she flopped and twisted so much. She broke three bones in her leg so maybe she got caught in fencing? Poor baby duck. I’m sorry for your loss.

oh no i’m so sorry. perhaps the hawk got very close and they all panicked. Maybe she twisted her neck in the flurry . there’s absolutely zero wounds on her no puncture wounds?. they can be hard to find. I had a runner duck once that got caught in fencing, she flopped and twisted so much. She broke three bones in her leg so maybe she got caught in fencing? Poor baby duck. I’m sorry for your loss.
I think you are right. Her head and neck were drooping to the side, and she looked stunned, a few minutes before she died. She must have broken her neck. I've seen other ducks get their bills stuck in the chicken wire openings.

Back
Top Bottom