Sudden death this morning

BillyPilgrim

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2016
Hi

This morning our six chickens didn't come out of the coop right away, and didn't eat much when they did come out. They seemed to be avoiding one of the buffs. A couple of hours later the one buff was laying in the corner panting and died within the hour. The remaining five seem ok but are not eating. Yesterday, they all seemed fine.

I'm thinking maybe it ate something in the yard but I'm worried it's a disease that will spread to the rest. The kids are at school but will be devastated when they get home.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hold old are they? What are their droppings looking like? Are there any other symptoms?
If you recently got them and they are just having access to the ground for the first time it may be coccidiosis. It's very common and their are many strains. It's treatable with corid which is available at almost any farm and ranch store.

So sorry about your chick. I live in PA. and anything like that the dept. of agri. tests live or deceased chicks/chickens by their blood for free. They would be able to tell you right away so it doesnt spread past your current flock or harm humans. Once they know they will give you medication for the chicken to get rid of it the disease. Prepare also that 1 or all of your exposed birds may also have to be uthanized. One stepat a time butit shouldnt be nearany of your other birds.
Chickens usuallyhave a keen sense about bad plants and good ones. Hope it works out for the rest.

They are about 20 months old, their dropping are a bit of everything from solid nuggets to puddles but nothing that seems unusual. They have been in the same coop for the past year and have daily access to the yard.
No other symptoms that we noticed, but we are novice chicken people.

The five remaining birds are almost back to normal today. They didn't attack their breakfast quite as vigorously as usual but it's all gone now and they are energetic. Could something in the yard have poisoned the bird that died?
I don't think we have any free testing around here. I'm in Squamish BC, CA and there isn't much agriculture around here.

Back
Top Bottom