Sudden Death

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
Astro was nearly 2 years old.
She hadn't been laying eggs for many months. She was internally laying. She had near death experiences back in October 2021 and March 2022. She was such a strong girl who came back alive twice đź’Ş
Just this morning I thought to myself “Wow, Astro looks to healthy and active!!!” but I was proven wrong when she died suddenly. I blame myself because when I let them out to free range today, I wanted to spend sometime with my hens alone, without Kuku. Kuku never lets me play with them as he attacks me whenever I'm near them.
But Astro didn't come out. She never comes out of the coop unless Kuku comes with her. I was making a video of the 4 ladies outside when I heard some screaming from the coop. But Astro always screamed when Kuku mated with her. Her body wasnt strong enough to handle the pressure, this is just my guess, and she dies of a heartattack.
10 minutes after I heard the commotion, I went down to open them up, only to find Astro laying down, dead. She was still warm...

Is it possible, this is just my theory, that she died from heart attack? Kuku mated with her 6-7 times under a span of 5-10minutes. She already had a weak body and whenever he mated with her before, she would stay on the ground, almost traumatized, for 1-2 minutes.
What do you guys think happened to her suddenly?

Attachments

• 20220523_181302.jpg
    20220523_181302.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I don't know that I would have a better idea of what happened to Astro than you did. But I am very sorry for your loss.

Don't beat yourself up too much. You had no way of knowing what as going to happen. And, as you said, she pulled through twice before. You clearly cared deeply about her and wouldn't have left her or put her in danger.

I hope she went quickly and not painfully.

I don't know that I would have a better idea of what happened to Astro than you did. But I am very sorry for your loss.

Don't beat yourself up too much. You had no way of knowing what as going to happen. And, as you said, she pulled through twice before. You clearly cared deeply about her and wouldn't have left her or put her in danger.

I hope she went quickly and not painfully.
That's what I hope for the most... that she went away quickly. I think her heart stopped working when the rooster mated with her again and again. In the video, she was fine after the first 2 rounds, but the 3rd and the 4th made her stay down for a little while. Then she ran into the side of the coop which was not visible in the camera. I could see the rooster coming and going 3-4 times from the place. She might have died between these rounds...
Do you happen to know if heart attacks are painful for hens? She was already internally laying and I had planned to cull her the next time she became seriously ill. Because I feel it was selfish of me to keep her alive, in pain.

I don't know if she felt pain. But, many years ago, I read a book by Sherwin B. Nuland, called "How We Die; Reflections on Life's Final Chapter." He suggested that extra endorphins kick in for both people and animals that seem to protect against emotional and physical dangers of pain and terror, especially before death.

If he is correct, she may have passed quite peacefully. I hope so, for both of you. It's hard to let go, sometimes even when we know it's best. Is it selfish? Or, is it love? Or both?

I hope you find some peace.

I don't know if she felt pain. But, many years ago, I read a book by Sherwin B. Nuland, called "How We Die; Reflections on Life's Final Chapter." He suggested that extra endorphins kick in for both people and animals that seem to protect against emotional and physical dangers of pain and terror, especially before death.

If he is correct, she may have passed quite peacefully. I hope so, for both of you. It's hard to let go, sometimes even when we know it's best. Is it selfish? Or, is it love? Or both?

I hope you find some peace.
I've also heard something along the similar lines that their body becomes numb to all the pain before they die...
Your words are really easing my sorrow... thank you

Back
Top Bottom