Sudden Death

AvocadoAbi

Songster
Jul 3, 2021
Hi yall...
It's been kinda a hard day.
My hen, Angelica, passed away very unexpectedly early this morning.
She turned two years this June.
She is a Buff Orpington, and lives in a big coop with two other hens and a rooster, who don't pick on her, and has clean bedding and dirt, and water and food.
She laid 5-6 days a week.
There was no animal, no disease, no symptoms, no marks on her body from a potential animal that tried to kill her, absolutely nothing to tell me she was going to die.
The last time I saw her alive was yesterday evening. I was holding her and talking to her and she was perfectly fine.
The only thing I can think of is that she was just starting to molt, but even so, I kept a close eye on her, and gave her a safe amount of extra protein everyday.
Angelica was so happy here, anybody know what happened?
She was the teacher's pet and the most energetic and friendliest out of our whole flock besides our rooster.
I miss her so much.

Do you feed treats? If so, what treats, how often, how many, and to how many birds?

If you still have her body a necropsy through your state lab would she’d done light.
I’m so sorry for your loss. Big hugs.
We give them chicken scratch occasionally, and a tablespoon of mealworms every day to the whole flock.

How many birds in the flock?

Fatty liver disease, caused by the over feeding of fatty treats can cause sudden death.
We have 4 birds.
We only give them scratch 1x a week, and a very small amount of mealworms daily.

Back
Top Bottom