Sudden Death

Hi yall...
It's been kinda a hard day.
My hen, Angelica, passed away very unexpectedly early this morning.
She turned two years this June.
She is a Buff Orpington, and lives in a big coop with two other hens and a rooster, who don't pick on her, and has clean bedding and dirt, and water and food.
She laid 5-6 days a week.
There was no animal, no disease, no symptoms, no marks on her body from a potential animal that tried to kill her, absolutely nothing to tell me she was going to die.
The last time I saw her alive was yesterday evening. I was holding her and talking to her and she was perfectly fine.
The only thing I can think of is that she was just starting to molt, but even so, I kept a close eye on her, and gave her a safe amount of extra protein everyday.
Angelica was so happy here, anybody know what happened?
She was the teacher's pet and the most energetic and friendliest out of our whole flock besides our rooster.
I miss her so much.
I'm so sorry about Angelica, I've dealt with sudden death as well. It's really hard when you lose a family member. (I count pets as familt members)

My Plymouth Rock Feather was fine one day and the next, I found her dead at the bottom of the coop.

Was Angelica on her back? If so, it was 💯 Sudden Death Syndrome.

Hang in there. I know your heart is broken. :hugs

Would be good to find out the cause so you can keep the rest of the flock safe.

I just moved from CA 2 months ago. Here's some info to get the necropsy done.

Attachments

• 20220807_203455.jpg
    20220807_203455.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220807_203508.jpg
    20220807_203508.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm so sorry about Angelica, I've dealt with sudden death as well. It's really hard when you lose a family member. (I count pets as familt members)

My Plymouth Rock Feather was fine one day and the next, I found her dead at the bottom of the coop.

We have no way of knowing what it was without a necropsy.
Many diseases could cause a chicken to be upside down after death. Chickens often do “death throws” before passing which could result in them flipping over.

Aww thank you.
She was on her side when I found her.

Hang in there. I know your heart is broken. :hugs

Would be good to find out the cause so you can keep the rest of the flock safe.

I just moved from CA 2 months ago. Here's some info to get the necropsy done.
Aww thanks so much.
And thank you for the info!

I lost my first buff today (Dec. '22) No apparent illness or injury. I do feed from a tube feeder which is a mix of organic layer pellet, org. scratch, and oil sunflower seeds during the winter. (we are in Massachusetts). Could it have been too much overfeeding?

Back
Top Bottom