Sudden Death

wtrivers

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
We lost one of our hens this morning and I am hoping someone here may have a clue as to why?

We recently acquired three new barred rock sexlink chicks to add to our flock of three RIR/comets. We were extremely careful per directions here, treating and feeding the big girls in thier seperated coop and run before feeding and caring for the new chicks in their own seperate tractor about 30feet away. We had washing buckets on hand to clean our tools and hands before and after handling the two groups of birds. About 5 days ago, having passed the 30 day quarantine for the chicks, we closed off the fence gate between the run and the coop and moved the chicks into the run which has its own day coop for them to shelter in. They are now about 4 months old and fully feathered, just much smaller than the older flock. It was still to early to let them mix.
After three days of letting them hear each other through the solid fence, we replaced the run gate to the Adults coop with a sheet of wire so the birds could see and even interact without chance of injury or full contact. This seemed to work fantastic. The new birds would stand at the gate and chirp at the hens on the other side. One hen, Lucy, seemed to like to watch them more than the other two, who have been a lil broody for the last few weeks and hanging in the coop and nests.
Last night, all the birds were fine and hungry. Everyone ate, acted with the normal amount of energy and seemed to be fine. But this morning, we found Lucy prone on the floor of the coop, her head in a puddle of saliva. She appeared to be too weak to raise her head. this was early morning and though the nights have been warm (80s) recently, the coop is well ventilated and has the wire doors open to the breeze during summers. Around her were diahreah piles of yellow excrement, almost yolk like in color and consistency. Wanting to get her away from the other two girls quickly, we cleaned and prepared the chicken tractor and moved her into her hutch with some clean hay. She roused to lift her head when I picked her up but when placed on her nest hay, she just rolled over and layed her head down. a few minutes later we heard a thrashing and when we went through the fence to investiage, she had expired. This was less than 12 hours from healthy active bird to sudden death. No marks or injuries seen on the body but I didnt have the heart to pluck her or the money to necropsy her. I am praying it was heat stroke and not a disease vector from the chicks. Its not unheard of for healthy birds to be carriers of other vectors your birds may have no immunities for, but this was way to sudden for a viral or respiritory disease. Any ideas on what it could be?
We cleaned the coop thoroughly and changed bedding hay, food, water, etc before scrubbing out floors and ramps of coop with light peroxide water. Not sure what else we can do to protect the other two adults. At the moment, no one seems the worse except for the bird that died. Yep, you guessed it, we are more pet owners than livestock raisers, but we do know a bit about chickens from our youth and this sudden death puzzles and worries me. Thanks for any help you can offer. TIM

How old was Lucy? I'm assuming she was of laying age as you mention her flock mates acting broody. Do you think there's a chance that an egg broke inside her and she died as a result of internal damage? It's not uncommon for the hen to literally pass yolk instead of stool when this happens. I lost my RIR named Lucy the same way.

We think she was around 2 years old.Very affectionate bird and the most social of the adult trio. She was extremely bright and active the evening before so the change was immediate and dramatic. We adopted them when they lost thier home and the previous owner had them for about a year or so before we got them in May. I had not heard of a burst egg causing internal damage before but that kind of fits the scenario. Did not see any bloody stool but that may not be required or present in every case. Definitly looked like yolk in the stool. Injury would be internal and sudden so I guess its a good possibility.
I would rather it be that than an infectious issue, which leaves me with a problem integrating the remaining birds with the new hens. For now, we are keeping a close eye on them. All brids seems fine. I reoriented one of our security cameras to cover the coop and birds on our side of the fence and we'll just watch them carefully for any symptoms. If we dont see anything in a week or so, I guess we will resume our integration of the two groups. Just a lil shakey on it at the moment after this death.
Thanks for the info, had not heard of that causing death before, though we did have some banties when we were younger that would occasionally poo out crushed egg shell and goo. I will look into the symptom a little more and see if we need to add more calcium to the diets or something. Thanks for the reply.

You sound like a committed and loving chicken owner! I think you'll come up with hits if you search "egg binding" as having an egg break inside the tract is a complication of that condition. Best of luck to you and your flock!

We got an egg from her a few days ago and she was very healthy and plump. She seemed to be biggest producer out of the three. When we found her she had what looked like drool around her beak where she was laying. But her breathing was not labored or noisey and she seemed to just be spent and weak. When I picked her up to move her she blew what looked like a snot bubble but seemed to still be breathing ok. A few minutes after we removed her from the coop, she thrashed a bit and expired. Her eggs have been normal and regular shell thickness, and we do feed crushed shell so I don't suspect a calcium deficeincy, but I guess you couldnt know for sure without post mortem tests, which we did not perform.

We got an egg from her a few days ago and she was very healthy and plump. She seemed to be biggest producer out of the three. When we found her she had what looked like drool around her beak where she was laying. But her breathing was not labored or noisey and she seemed to just be spent and weak. When I picked her up to move her she blew what looked like a snot bubble but seemed to still be breathing ok. A few minutes after we removed her from the coop, she thrashed a bit and expired. Her eggs have been normal and regular shell thickness, and we do feed crushed shell so I don't suspect a calcium deficeincy, but I guess you couldnt know for sure without post mortem tests, which we did not perform.
I just had a 6 month old Rhode Island Red gal die last night. She had been fine as far as I could tell. Last night when I got home, she was not feeling well at all, just standing there and wouldn't go in the coop. I brought her inside to the basement and put her in a cage. She died last night. Couldn't see anything wrong with her. So sad. I am hoping the rest of them are all okay. It was so fast. Thanks to Gov. Quinn, the Dept. of Ag lab by me doesn't do autopsies anymore so I can't tell what killed her. I'm praying for my other gals!

Hi Betsy75. Thats so sad...we were similarly shocked when our golden comet died so quickly....we only had three chickens at the time and it seemed very threatening. After speaking to many chix owners since, however, we have found that this Sudden Death issue is not so rare. Chickens can be suspectible to a lot of environmental and disease vectors, as well as physical deficiencies, and illnesses can be sudden and final. Luckily for us, this was no disease, but seems to have been a simple case of Egg binding and maybe late summer heat combined with starting a molt (the other two birds went into molt just a month or so after the loss of the first hen). we found a number of posts about the problems and have changed our feed content and a few other practices and have seen no further issues with our other hens. I want to mention here that most of the cracked corn and flaked feeds contain GMO corn, (GMO stands for Genetically Mutated Organism) which has a genetically spliced insect toxin in its content called bT toxin. created and marketted by Monsanto, the same folks who brought you Agent Orange! You can read up on the problem with bT toxin and GMO feed corn at mercola.com. the bT toxin in the corn can cause severe to fatal digestive disorders in livestock and We are still searching for a vendor who sells NON GMO chocken feeds and corn. Tough to do since Monsanto has managed to capture and monopolize over 80% of the feed corn market, all of which is now genetically contaminated with bT toxins. This toxin, amazingly, can be transferred across genus barriers. In other words, after ingesting the bT corn, the animals absorb the toxic genetic stew into thier own tissues, and actually begin producing the toxin THEMSELVES in thier digestive tracts and organs. GREAT! Pesticide producing Chickens!!! Just what we all wanted! Of course, we then ingest the same toxin when we eat thier eggs and flesh. this is something Livestock owners around the world are finally discovering as massive illnesses and herd die offs have resulted from exposing animals to GMO feed and fallow fields where GMO products have been harvested. Just beware and keep an eye on feeding and digestive troubles in your flock if your feeding most of the common chix and laying mash feeds on the market. If I ever find a natural source for feed, I will certainly post it here!! We supplement feeds with LOTS of greens from our gardens and yards to keep the total dependence on feed low, but as we live in a urban neighborhood, we cant really let our birds Free roam unless we want them chased and eaten by neighbors pets and the hawks and eagles that thrive in the oak forests we live in.
We added three barred rock chix in Spring and they now dwarf our two remaining comets in size, but havent started laying yet. With only five birds, we can watch them like Chicken Hawks :) , and we keep a close eye on health and feeding and brooding behaviours to nip problems in the bud. Its gotta be a lot harder with 50 birds!!! Natural fed and Free Range birds have a lot fewer issues than birds on 100% feeds, so add lots of greens to keep the diet varied if your birds dont free range. Its inevitable that we will all lose a few birds here and there, but I am now convinced that DIET is a huge issue in longevity and overall helath and we are trying to focus on improving THAT above all else! Here's hoping you have no more dissapointments and a Healthy Flock! Thanks for posting! Be sure to get more info on GMO and GE feeds and the impacts on your pets and lovestock at Mercola.com

Back
Top Bottom