Sudden deaths in my flock need help

Gut instinct has me pointing fingers at coccidia overload; young birds, old birds, or birds with underlying medical conditions often fall victim to this internal parasite. The young as they've not developed a resistance to it yet, the old because their immune systems are winding down with old age, and the already sick are ripe for this opportunistic organism. There are several strains of cocci and each strain presents in differing ways, and some don't present in a clearly defined way (apparent sudden death).
A vet should be happy to perform a fecal float test to rule out worms or other parasites, and if you're lucky, may even agree to see one of your sick birds. But if, in these trying times, you're unable to seek a veterinarian's assistance then....
I'm thinking that with it being a wet time of year, that the cocci eggs and parasites may have risen up in the moistened soil, easily ingested by your flock as they foraged. Since they're such young birds, their immune system hasn't hardened to this yet, and they may have become overburdened by the parasite.
The good news is that if this is indeed the issue, it can be treated with amprolium (generic name), also known as Corid (brand name), and should be easy to get at your feed store. It's reasonably inexpensive, easy to administer, and because you cannot endanger your birds in any way by treating them with this as directed on the package, it's my first go-to when a whole flock becomes suddenly ill. Do not supplement vitamins (particularly B-Vitamins) while they are on this medicine, but do offer supplements after the full course of treatment.
I truly hope that this is your problem, as it's easily remedied as outlined above.
I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Are they showing any symptom's before they die? Do you have a picture of one of them to show us?
Yes they do.
20201225_081816.jpg
20201225_081830.jpg

.puffed feathers
.stands not eating or drinking for hours unless force fed
.some from of paralysis

Gut instinct has me pointing fingers at coccidia overload; young birds, old birds, or birds with underlying medical conditions often fall victim to this internal parasite. The young as they've not developed a resistance to it yet, the old because their immune systems are winding down with old age, and the already sick are ripe for this opportunistic organism. There are several strains of cocci and each strain presents in differing ways, and some don't present in a clearly defined way (apparent sudden death).
A vet should be happy to perform a fecal float test to rule out worms or other parasites, and if you're lucky, may even agree to see one of your sick birds. But if, in these trying times, you're unable to seek a veterinarian's assistance then....
I'm thinking that with it being a wet time of year, that the cocci eggs and parasites may have risen up in the moistened soil, easily ingested by your flock as they foraged. Since they're such young birds, their immune system hasn't hardened to this yet, and they may have become overburdened by the parasite.
The good news is that if this is indeed the issue, it can be treated with amprolium (generic name), also known as Corid (brand name), and should be easy to get at your feed store. It's reasonably inexpensive, easy to administer, and because you cannot endanger your birds in any way by treating them with this as directed on the package, it's my first go-to when a whole flock becomes suddenly ill. Do not supplement vitamins (particularly B-Vitamins) while they are on this medicine, but do offer supplements after the full course of treatment.
I truly hope that this is your problem, as it's easily remedied as outlined above.
I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.
Please do keep then in your prayers. I suspected coccidia too and started giving them amprolium 4 days ago they seemed okay but today i found 3 chickens who wer paralysed and leaning their neck to one side i have sent a pic on my previous post please check it out and let me know wat u think thanks

Please do keep then in your prayers. I suspected coccidia too and started giving them amprolium 4 days ago they seemed okay but today i found 3 chickens who wer paralysed and leaning their neck to one side i have sent a pic on my previous post please check it out and let me know wat u think thanks
Have they been vaccinated for Mareks disease?

I am sorry your flock is suffering losses, but I do wish to welcome you to the forum. I am sorry I cannot help you, but I am confident others will have some good advice for you. I also will pray for you and your birds. May it go well with them, and with you.

Back
Top Bottom