Sudden decrease in egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nbird, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Nbird

Nbird Out Of The Brooder

We have 20 hens (some are old, some are young, some are just right) and used to get 12 eggs a day. For the last 3 weeks we have only been getting 6. It has been hot and humid and I wondered if that would cause this. Any ideas? Thanks

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think it may be the heat mine are not laying well either

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    A few of mine dropped in production as well and then a while later I noticed feathers everywhere! They will stop laying if they are going into a molt- they don't have enough protien to make new feathers AND lay eggs!

4. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    All of mine have stopped laying as well. It has been very hot and humid. Also, I have noticed alot of feathers in the coops. Looks like someone had a big pillow fight. I am sure the heat combined with the molt are affecting the egg production. I was getting a dozen a day a week ago. Now I am down to zero. I am sure they will start back up before Fall.

5. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Could this heat be the problem for my young hens starting to lay too? I'm in FL and it's in the 90s here...I'm getting 2 eggs a day but I have 8 girls.

6. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Something is definetly up. I have 18 hens and was getting a dozen to 1.5 dozen a day and now only getting 3-4 eggs a day.

Figures, I finally get some egg customers and the girls go on strike.[​IMG]

7. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Knight Hawk, I love the pics of your mama RIR and her new chicks! So cute!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by