Sudden decrease

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doxies1, Jan 7, 2012.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    My chickens started laying heavier in Sept. and wer laying fine till the recent cold snap, (I have a light on them about 18 hours a day), as of the recent cold snap the production dropped about in half. No changes except the weather. I have pens of Marans, silkies, Houdans and cochins. Does anybody have any ideas of what might have happened?

2. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    I too have had this problem and I am in SE Ga. This past week we got down into the lower thirties and my egg count went from 12-15 per day last week to 4-6 this week. I was thinking that someone had been stealing them but now I am starting to think otherwise now that I know someone else has had this problem too.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    enjoyin' my chickens :

I too have had this problem and I am in SE Ga. This past week we got down into the lower thirties and my egg count went from 12-15 per day last week to 4-6 this week. I was thinking that someone had been stealing them but now I am starting to think otherwise now that I know someone else has had this problem too.

It's happening here in Kentucky too. averaging 2 eggs/day from 13 chickens. We do not add lighting but even at that,two eggs a day???​

4. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Man I don't want to buy eggs from the grocery. I had to, to supplement my holiday cooking, without depleting my fresh eggs that I love to eat. So yummy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by