Sudden Drop in Egg Production

peasant_girl

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
We have 17 hens that are all laying. They are all under a year old. We average 14 eggs per day. Today we only got a total of 7 eggs. The temperatures have been cooler the last couple of days (in the 70's) and they all seem healthy and happy, eating as normal. What could cause the sudden drop in eggs?

The amount of sunlight can effect egg production.

My flock will actually stop laying with a predator is in the backyard usually it's the cougar, bobcat, wolf, coyotes, or bear. But this is a red flag of a predator to me.

If the amount of sunlight hasn't changed, is something with the environment changing that is causing them stress?

We have a lot of light still, from about 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. We have Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, Golden Comets, Rhode Island Reds, and Silver Laced Wyandottes.

They do have a very large area to free range, but are fenced in. We did see two skunks wandering around this evening well before sunset, and I know that they live in our field.

A week and a half ago we added 8 more chickens who are too young to lay yet. They all seem to have acclimated well. Yesterday we got 13 eggs and today 7.

I have all EEs and they lay every other day or every three days. When they are young and first laying, they lay almost every day until their system figures everything out. I'm unsure of the average yearly egg production of your other hens.

I've noticed that about the Easter Eggers, that they don't lay every day. We have four and I usually get 2-3 of their eggs every day. The rest lay brown eggs. Golden Comets in particular lay a lot, as do Rhode Island Reds. I'm not sure about the other breeds we have.

A week and a half ago we added 8 more chickens who are too young to lay yet. They all seem to have acclimated well. Yesterday we got 13 eggs and today 7.
There's your answer. Flock is likely stressed due to new birds.
The older birds are probably laying out in range area.
Knowing more about your set up, coop and run in feet by feet-with pics, might offer some clues and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom