Sudden Drop in Egg Production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, May 22, 2011.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 10 hens. I've been getting between 6 and 9 a day from them this spring until two days ago. I collected 3. Today I collected 2. They do not free range. I have a very large run for them and a hen house. There are really no places at all where they could be hiding them. I searched yesterday and again today. Nothing. What's the deal???

2. mrbstephens

Could it be the weather causing this? We had a full week straight of rain. The last two days have been pretty nice, but unfortunately it looks like we'll get another week of rain. [​IMG]

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Has it been hotter there?

4. mrbstephens

No. Colder and tons and tons and tons of rain.

5. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  6. mrbstephens

Quote:That thread is about fall/winter egg production drop. This is still spring..........I have not checked for mites. I'd be surprised, because I use DE in their hen house.

7. mrbstephens

[​IMG]

8. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

happened to us about a month ago. turned out they had worms. we wormed them all and back to normal now. it was a huge drop in egg production and they did not behave differently at all but it was worms.

9. mrbstephens

Quote:How did you know it was worms? Did you find something to indicate that?

10. mrbstephens

Anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by