Sudden gosling deaths

Chicken feed is normally to be too low in vitamins and sometimes too low in protein for ducklings and goslings, you can give it to them for 5 days and it will worm them but definitly supplement the feed with a vitamin solution as well, particularly if it has multiple B vitamins, E and A are also very important. Adding nutritional yeast is another option.
20% to 22% protein is typical for a feed, anything lower isn’t enough and you’ll need to supplement with something to boost their protein like soldierfly larva or meal worms.

Antibiotics are illegal to use without a prescription in my state also (California) there is a loop hole though. Fish antibiotics are repackaged antibiotics manufactured for human use, they don’t require a prescription, neither does antibiotics marketed for pigeons. I have no idea if it’s the same in Ireland, if you can even find them or not. Just adding that on the off chance it helps.
That's great advise about the feed so thank you. We don't have the fish antibiotic loophole here unfortunately. The pigeon one we kind of have, it's the only reason I can get amprolium or ivermectin, but it doesn't exist for us for antibiotics which is a pity because the vets here don't want to know you if it's about chickens

That's great advise about the feed so thank you. We don't have the fish antibiotic loophole here unfortunately. The pigeon one we kind of have, it's the only reason I can get amprolium or ivermectin, but it doesn't exist for us for antibiotics which is a pity because the vets here don't want to know you if it's about chickens
Same here with geese. Nobody raises geese so the vets don’t really know how to treat them. They know a bit about chickens, but in general no vet will see any kind of bird unless they’re an avian/ exotics vet, and those are rare to come by.
We used to have “farm” vets that saw and treated all sorts of animals, but that’s a nearly extinct breed of veterinarian.

Oh! I think I actually do, any advise on how to get it into them? Can I mix it with water since it's a powder?

I’m not sure where you would get it there, a store, health food store, off the internet. Maybe call and ask a vet or pharmacy if they have any on hand. It is a powder so it can be mixed with water, if they refuse to drink it you can syringe a little of the mix down their throat. This is a great guide for how to do that safely https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom