Sudden loss of balance

Jaxx2

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
About a week ago i noticed my 3 month old porcelain d'uccle rooster had tiny white worms in his poop. I counted 2 or 3 and they were about a centimeter long.
I decided to use Valbazen dewormer. I gave him half the correct dosage to start with and the next day I noticed he was a little wobbly. Day by day his balance got worse.
I took him to the vet and she said he was fine and that it was a reaction to the dewormer, and sometimes cats get the same reaction.
But he still continues to get worse day by day. His limbs and wings aren't paralyzed it only seems like he can't balance right. He only crawls around now. Sometimes he flips over and can't get back up on his own.
He eats and drinks tons and his comb is still bright red. I'm keeping him comfortable and away from my other chickens.
Hes the sweetest chicken I've ever met, I'm very worried for him any idea what this might be??
:(

I’m sorry your boy is sick! I’m not sure if Valbazen causes reactions like this, I’ve heard the worms themselves can cause lameness, other possibilities can be vitamin deficiencies, bacterial infections, toxins, and viruses.
Do you know if he was vaccinated for Mereks or Avian Luekosis?

I’m sorry your boy is sick! I’m not sure if Valbazen causes reactions like this, I’ve heard the worms themselves can cause lameness, other possibilities can be vitamin deficiencies, bacterial infections, toxins, and viruses.
Do you know if he was vaccinated for Mereks or Avian Luekosis?
I've never heard about any reactions like this from valbazen either.
I'm not sure if he's been vaccinated, im getting in contact with the woman I got him from right now.
I called a different vet again today and she thinks its something nurelogical. Not too sure if I agree with either of those verdicts.
I've given him a small dose of antibiotics. Hoping he'll perk up.
Thanks for your help :)

I’d say it is neurological, my gander had similar issues recently, though getting to the bottom of what it was was tricky and I still don’t really know for sure, it could have even been multiple issues.

I’d say it is neurological, my gander had similar issues recently, though getting to the bottom of what it was was tricky and I still don’t really know for sure, it could have even been multiple issues.
He's taken a sudden turn and I'd be surprised if he made it through the night. I'm not sure what else I could have done especially if it was neurological, it progressed so quickly. This really sucks :(

Back
Top Bottom