Sudden Neurological(?) Issues in Duck

It's like Botulism and the molasses water should help to remove any more toxins it's on the list of what to use to clean out their systems https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/ not sure how much molasses you are using so here is the link.
Poor boy.
I've been using that post for measurements, I've tried all three flushes on there. The molasses one seemed to work the best before so I'm back to using that one right now.

Still the same, but he's having normal poops so I must be tubing enough food.

I came out today and found one of my healthy hens acting weird now. She's doing the same thing he started out doing.
I saw her nibbling at the wormwood yesterday so I'm just guessing that must be what this is. I ripped all three big plants out. The other ducks that know to leave well enough alone are sad because they were pretty much the only big enough bushes to provide shade.

I started her on Epsom salt flushes but for some reason she's awful to tube. I've never had an issue but right as I get to the end of the 35 ml. she starts shaking her head and bringing it back up. I'm worried she's going to aspirate herself. I've tried doing less but she still does it.
The drake will take 70 ml. of food each time I tube him, usually an hour or two apart.

Should I stick with the Epsom salt flush or would one of the other flushes be more effective against plant toxicity? I'd almost bet money that's what I'm dealing with.

Goodness. Sorry you’re dealing with this, but this thread could end up being very useful for others. I wish I could help.

How do they react when you stroke their necks? And I know putting him in a pool would be a scary thing, but can he try to swim with you watching? I’m thinking therapeutically it could help?

Goodness. Sorry you’re dealing with this, but this thread could end up being very useful for others. I wish I could help.

How do they react when you stroke their necks? And I know putting him in a pool would be a scary thing, but can he try to swim with you watching? I’m thinking therapeutically it could help?
I tried putting the drake in my pond a few days ago, he was still having occasionally seizures and apparently putting him in the pond brought one on so I got to jump in and get all wet to rescue him. 😓

The hen would probably do ok. She isn't too bad yet. When I pulled the wormwood today I was inspecting it and the lower branches are definitely chewed up. I've only ever seen my young group of pintails by it. Hopefully none of their siblings ate too much. I can't find much online about it but I found this, ours is the wild kind.
Screenshot_20230726-162546.png

I dug it up out of our yard because I always loved the way it looked and planted a big one and two littler ones in there. They've been in there for at least two months so it's weird there's issues now.

Other than his walking weirdly which may be because of his neck situation it almost looks like a severe cause of wry neck. But botulism[limberr neck] probably looks the same.
Yeah I was reading that the limberneck thing is common with all toxin ingestions, not just botulism.

I cut open the bird that died almost a week ago, he's been in the refrigerator. I don't know if he was too old or not but I took some pics.
Who all would know what they're looking at?
Everything seemed relatively normal, besides some clot looking stuff in the heart and a green bile type coloration in/on the kidneys and around them?

@Kiki @casportpony ?

20230727_193330.jpg
20230727_194154.jpg
20230727_193656.jpg
20230727_193648.jpg
20230727_193516.jpg
20230727_194216.jpg
20230727_194033.jpg
20230727_194058.jpg

Also this just seems to have happened today in the last few hours.
IMG_20230727_210821562.jpg

He's had some eye issues since this started and I'm assuming it's from being in my shed on wood chips and them getting in his eyes when he couldn't hold his head up before. I rinsed his eyes but it's definitely possible I had missed something. Should I just keep rinsing them?

Also this just seems to have happened today in the last few hours. View attachment 3591359

He's had some eye issues since this started and I'm assuming it's from being in my shed on wood chips and them getting in his eyes when he couldn't hold his head up before. I rinsed his eyes but it's definitely possible I had missed something. Should I just keep rinsing them?
Poor guy.

I'm not sure rinsing them is going to do anything.
Does it stress him?

Back
Top Bottom