Suddenly found one of my chickens dead :(

SweetE

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2017
I have no clue as to why my hen would be dead this morning. We had a regular morning. I went out at 6 AM to feed, water and pet my flock. They are well trained (or I am) because they know if they start cackling I'll come to open the coop door and let them graze in the yard. Little Bo Peep was, and usually is, the loudest of the bunch this morning. She seemed perfectly fine. I talked to her and hushed her as usual.

Then about an hour later I found her dead underneath the wheelbarrow. No injuries found. No blood. No preditors. We don't even own a dog. She was just laying there dead. This is the first of my flock that I've lost. They are about a year and 4 months old. I'm heart broken. And don't know what to do with her body even. I think a burial in our yard but I am afraid of contaminating the others. What is the protocol for this. I'm also paranoid I'll see others die. My flock is healthy and happy. No bugs not pesticides used near them. Nothing. Any help appreciated.

Heat stroke? Sometimes chickens have sudden deaths that can't be explained. I am so sorry about your loss!

It's currently cool and only 65 degrees here. Lots of water provided. It's a mystery. Thank you though.

I don't know what state you live in, but you can do a search for where to send her for necropsy. They often do it for free. If you decide to try that, wrap her body up good and put in freezer. You can also call around to local vets and see if they do necropsy. Or you could try it yourself if you've a strong resolve. I'm sorry for your loss!

Hi @SweetE Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your loss.

Unfortunately, without a necropsy there is no way to know for sure the cause of death.
Chickens can suddenly die and it is upsetting. They can suffer from stroke and heart attack or can have an underlying illness or condition that has finally taken it's toll. Chickens are notorious for hiding things.

If you still have her body, you can refrigerate (not freeze) the body and send it to your state lab for testing. If this is not possible, then bury her.
There is always a slight concern when one suddenly dies, but it happens. If you do have another that dies in a short period of time, then further investigation is needed.
Here's how to find your state lab:https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Thank you for the suggestion. I took her into my Dept of agriculture and just heard from the vet today. Turns out she had a fatty liver and it ruptured causing internal bleeding and her passing. Nothing else. She was the bossiest of my bunch and always was first to the feed. I will also be cutting back on the treats for the other girls.
I don't know what state you live in, but you can do a search for where to send her for necropsy. They often do it for free. If you decide to try that, wrap her body up good and put in freezer. You can also call around to local vets and see if they do necropsy. Or you could try it yourself if you've a strong resolve. I'm sorry for your loss

Thank you for the suggestion. I took her into my Dept of agriculture and just heard from the vet today. Turns out she had a fatty liver and it ruptured causing internal bleeding and her passing. Nothing else. She was the bossiest of my bunch and always was first to the feed. I will also be cutting back on the treats for the other girls.
I'm glad you were able to find the cause.
Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom