1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suddenly I need a minivan

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cindiloohoo, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I am about to add three children to my household next month. With them, and the three of us, I will need to be shopping SOON for a minivan. I don't think there are SUV's that will seat 6 comfortably. If you know of one, by all means clue me in, I really kinda dislike minivans and would rather drive an SUV [​IMG] But...I need something soon and so I need to know ALL about minivans or vehicles that will seat a family of six. SO.... Who has one? What kind? Whats the mpg? What's the reliability been? I need personal experiences since I have none. I'd prefer things that don't have high instances of rollovers too. I think I'd like to keep all four tires of whatever on the road at all times [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    cargo space is an important deciding factor, so info on that would be great as well. [​IMG] TIA

3. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    We have 7 kids between hubby and I. our last vehicle purchase was a 9 passenger chevy suburban.
    they are older now and just the 3 are home with us but i would not give up my truck for anything
    3 bench seats; middle row folds down flat and back bench comes out.
    with all seats in still plenty of room for cargo.
    never had a problem with it except when i ran over the kids skateboard in the driveway and hubby had to change the dented gas tank LOL

4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Only SUV I've ever been in that I know would fit that bill is a Lexus.

Expensive right [​IMG]

But the farm I worked for once had one... A Lexus SUV thing... it had very *very* comfortable room for 7 *adults* and then a back section large enough for the suitcases of all 7. It was pretty comfortable [​IMG] They even towed with it. It had heated seats... independent ac vents with individual temperature control that showed the actual temperature on the digital display. Lalalala the whole shebang.

For vans... I usually don't like them... but we had one that was pretty decent... a Chrysler Town & Country. My mom sold cars for a little while [​IMG] and she said it was the nicest of the vans she had ever tried, driving-wise, plus pretty economical.

5. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL. Two Captain chairs in front, two in the middle, bench in the back and still enough room for all of our stuff in the back and groceries. The gas mileage is not real great....I get about 13-15mpg in town and maybe 18-20 highway [​IMG] I haven't had any mechanical problems with her at all. I have driven from Oklahoma to Minnesota to Oregon and back to Oklahoma, twice and we had enough room for everyone (4 kids, two adults) to sit/sleep comfortably, plus all our bags. The only time she has been in the shop is when my oldest DD hit a deer [​IMG]

The back bench seat folds down and the captains chairs in the middle come out....so when not hauling kids I can also haul lots of stuff. I have moved out of two houses using her to haul loads (and loads)! She will pull a boat or trailer no problem.

Can you tell I really love my "nali"....[​IMG] lol!

Good luck in your search!

6. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Quote:Wanted to add.........mine also has all the "bells and whistles", not sure they are all necessary........but they sure are nice!

AND............Congratulations on the additions to your family!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    all of these suv's seats 8

2011 Honda Pilot
    LX 4dr Front-wheel Drive
    Engine: 3.5L V-6
    20 MPG: 17 City, 23 Hwy
    Seating Capacity: 8

Tow Rating: 3500 pounds
    3rd Row Seat: 60-40 Split-Bench

MSRP: $28,320

2011 Chevrolet Traverse
    LS Front-wheel Drive
    Engine: 3.6L V-6
    20 MPG: 17 City, 24 Hwy

Tow Rating: 5200 pounds

MSRP: $29,370

2011 GMC Acadia
    SL Front-wheel Drive
    Engine: 3.6L V-6
    20 MPG: 17 City, 24 Hwy

Tow Rating: 5200 pounds

MSRP: $32,000

2012 Chevrolet Tahoe
    LS 4x2
    Engine: 5.3L V-8
    18 MPG: 15 City, 21 Hwy

Tow Rating: 5500 pounds
    3rd Row Seat: 50-50 Split-Bench

MSRP: $38,450

2012 Nissan Armada
    SV 4dr 4x2
    Engine: 5.6L V-8
    16 MPG: 13 City, 19 Hwy

Tow Rating: 8200 pounds

MSRP: $38,490

Hope this helps.

8. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Honda Odyssey. Mine has 100,000 miles (2002) and is still going strong (well, I did have to replace the transmission, apparently some flaw with Odysseys). It seats 7, but six comfortably. I chose it over the Toyota Sienna because I could actually stand up in it (well, kind of hunched over) to buckle the kids into the car seats. It has two chairs in the middle and a fold-down bench in the back. We vacation and are able to fit all of our luggage in the back cargo area - bags for a week, aerobed for the hotel, cot for the littlest, 3 boogie boards and beach stuff. When you take out the seats and fold down the back bench, it has a lot of room. We have hauled a couch one time, and were still able to shut the back door.

9. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I have a Mazda5 that seats 6, with room for groceries. We get 22mpg/28mpg and better! Has awesome power and handles great.

10. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:That sounds like looking into [​IMG] I need something that gets pretty decent fuel economy. I live 10 miles from a store in the woods [​IMG] we go to church 30ish miles away three times per week as well. Fuel economy is of the utmost importance right after safety of course!

Wow, I had no idea so many SUV's had that much seating! One child will still be in a booster seat as well and those are bulky. The other two are good with belts thankfully.

I am NOT looking forward to shopping though. I always have good luck finding what I need, but UGH I just hate it with a passion!

Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone [​IMG]

bluesub, what's the gas mileage like with the Odyssey?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by