Suddenly lethargic

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My 1.5 year old hen is suddenly lethargic, as if she can barely keep her eyes open and has diarrhea.

She laid an egg today and the weather is cooler today. Before this, it was very hot.

She ate earlier and seemed fine just hours ago.

She now seems out of it. She is standing with her wings dropped down. See
PXL_20230801_235406262.jpg
pic.

Her face looks normal. Advice?
PXL_20230801_234841157.jpg
PXL_20230801_234841157.jpg

If this is the same one that has been laying smallish eggs or thin shells, I would watch her. Make sure that her crop is filling up during the day, and emptying by the next morning. I would offer some fluids and mushy feed before bedtime. Let us know how she is doing in the morning.

I just noticed one foot having this...

The black stuff...

Attachments

• PXL_20230802_001659079.jpg
    PXL_20230802_001659079.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 7
If this is the same one that has been laying smallish eggs or thin shells, I would watch her. Make sure that her crop is filling up during the day, and emptying by the next morning. I would offer some fluids and mushy feed before bedtime. Let us know how she is doing in the morning.
She's the same one. Are those mites?

Update!!!!
She laid her "normal" egg this morning.

She JUST laid this egg....the shell was very, very soft. It was intact but split up on me just touching it.

What on earth?
PXL_20230802_003305612.jpg

What are you feeding her?
She's on an all-flock feed and has 24/7 access to oyster shell and grit. She free ranges from about 1130am-9pm every day as well.
I've been giving her supplemental (human) vitamins as well, for added calcium and vitamin D since she consistently has thin shells. (But by thin, they have a shell still, but a weak one. It can still be cracked.)
My previous concern of switching my little flock to layer food is that I've had four die of Fatty Liver and another of mine is essentially spayed.

The black stuff is very hard, not moving. It doesn't feel like dirt though. Almost more like paint. For clarification, I have not painted.
I feel like an outright terrible chicken Mama. Something is always wrong with my girls.

@ChickNanny13

She's on an all-flock feed and has 24/7 access to oyster shell and grit. She free ranges from about 1130am-9pm every day as well.
I've been giving her supplemental (human) vitamins as well, for added calcium and vitamin D since she consistently has thin shells. (But by thin, they have a shell still, but a weak one. It can still be cracked.)
My previous concern of switching my little flock to layer food is that I've had four die of Fatty Liver and another of mine is essentially spayed.
I feel like an outright terrible chicken Mama.
I'd put them on a layer feed to prevent having the option to each oyster shell on the side.
This bird is clearly not getting enough.

I would NOT feed any treats at all.

Back
Top Bottom