sugar ants

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickiKat, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    does anyway have a really good way of banishing sugar ants in the kitchen? I have tried sprays, powders, corn meal, DE, baking soda, baking powder... argh!! they are driving me crazy..

2. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:have you tried citrus?

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Wow, sounds like you've tried just about everything. Usually soap spray works for me outside but it sounds like you've got some determined ants. Hope you find something that works.

4. hayabusa3

hayabusa3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Baby powder has worked for us

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I try baby powdr, what do I do with citrus?

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    We just bought this "natural" animal safe spray... it smells STRONG.. but it made some ants leave an extra outside that we were cleaning out...
    Its active ingredients were, Peppermint Oil and Rosemary Oil...
    And its worked so far... [​IMG]

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:An ant poison, maybe?

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Boy, I couldn't use anything inside that had Rosemary in it because of my cat...he LOVES that stuff...like catnip! I did see a homemade spray that it listed as an ingredient, with dishsoap and maybe something else. The article said it worked good for them, too. Guess ants hate it?? Who'd a thought.

9. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    ant traps - the liquid bait kind

or cinnamon. For some reason they don't like cinnamon.. If you can find where they are coming in from, sprinkle cinnamon there to keep them from coming in again. I've heard that they can't digest it and that it kills them if they eat it (mix sugar with cinnamon so they try to eat the sugar, but cinnamon is also on it) but from my experience just sprinkling the cinnamon keeps ants away, not sure if it kills them or not? [​IMG]

Plus it smells good [​IMG]

10. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sugar ants are easy. 1 tsp of Borax (laundry additive) in about 1/2 cup of jelly and put it on a plate. (The active ingrediant in Borax is the same as the active ingrediant in ant traps, but the jelly is A LOT more effective at attracting the ants)

Within a day you'll have a ton of ants lapping it up and taking it back to the hive in their common stomach for the queen and workers and telling all their friends about the big plate of yumminess. The next day, you'll have just a few stragglers. The next day - none.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by