Sugar Cookie Recipe, Please.

theOEGBman

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Central California
Hey Everyone,

Wow, its been a while since I've started a thread here on BYC!

I am in a poultry class at school called Avian Practices. It deals with various birds, mostly niche markets such as squab production. Its been a blast and the teacher is one of the most amazing women I've ever met. She's just great all around and really knows her birds. Although most of us did not know each other at the beginning of a semester, she makes you do so much together that we're now a close knit group. Next week is our Final and we've decided to have a potluck. We're having chickens that we processed a couple weeks ago and a variety of other foods. I've been asked to make cookies, and Mrs. Boyd asked me to make sugar cookies, cut in christmas shapes, just to welcome our long awaited break. I have no idea how to make a good sugar cookie, and my mother said they're not as easy as your common chocolate chip. Does anyone have a great recipes they would like to share? I would really appreciate it. And a recipes for frosting as well if you have one. I'd rather make it than use store bought. Thank You.

Thanks,
Jordan

heres my recipe:

buy a tube of sugar cookie dough in a tube.
mash it into christmas shapes.
sprinkle some red and green edible glittery looking stuff on top. edible glitter may not be the proper culinary term.
bake.

Last edited:
I don't have a tried and true, so i'll just refer you where i would go....allrecipes.com. I like using that site because of the ratings and comments. You can find out how people used the recipe and if they made any changes. It's very helpful, and i've gotten some really great recipes from there.

These sugar cookies are from the 50s.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
•1/2 cup butter
•1 cup sugar
•1 tablespoon milk
•1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring
•2 eggs
•2 teaspoons baking powder
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•2 cups flour
Preparation:
Cream butter with sugar; add beaten egg yolks, flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and stiffly beaten egg whites. Add enough more flour to make of consistency to roll. Cut off small pieces of the dough; roll on floured surface, sprinkle with granulated sugar, cut out with cookie cutter and bake on greased cookie sheets at 350° for about 10 minutes.

I collect old cookbooks and you can't beat an old recipe.

Quote:
LOL, Bert! Simple, I know.... but Im trying to be a good student and actually put forth some real effort.
lol.png

Thanks, PunkinPeep! That's one of my favorite sites, I went there right after typing this up!
wink.png

Thank You, MandyH! I definitely agree with you about the old recipes. I am going to visit my grandmother tomorrow so I'll be asking her if she has any recipes that I can borrow. I'll try this recipe, thank you.

Here's a simple one

1 box of white cake mix
1 egg
1/2 stick of butter
3 ounces of cream cheese

soften the butter and cream cheese ( I cheat a little and put them in the microwave for a few seconds) and mix them together. Stir in the egg. Add the cake mix and stir until it is an even consistency. These can be rolled and cut with a cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes depending on how thick you made them.

LOL, Bert, that is true! But I prefer to go all out I guess. I love baking, so its no trouble for me.

Jody, that seems simple enough! Thank you for the recipe. We're going to try a couple this weekend and see which one we prefer.

This is a very old recipe, from the 30's, its the best one I have ever found, very light, crispy, and O so very tasty

White Cookie

1 cup Sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
rind of 1 lemon ( 1 tsp lemon juice, sub)
2 2/3 cup Flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Roll and cut with cutter, I chill for an Hour for easier rolling

Back
Top Bottom