Sugar for prolapse?

carolanne

Hatching
7 Years
May 30, 2012
North/west Michigan
Hey gang, I have an Ameraucana hen who has just started laying - her first egg was pretty bloody, which I wasn't too worried about because I know it's normal, but a couple of the Leghorns were pecking at her butt (grr vampires) so I isolated her. She was starting to look a lot better and heal up nicely, but then she jumped back into the pen with the other hens REPEATEDLY and got herself pecked up even worse while I was at work. When I got home I moved her away from them all together, but she was pretty bad. THEN I saw an egg poking out, oh GREAT. She was eggbound so I gave her a steambath (put her in a crate with water above a pot of hot water) and she passed the egg during the night.

BUT now she is prolapsed. Doesn't look too bad, I was able to stick it back in there but keeps falling out. I read in several places that granulated sugar can help with prolapse so I sprinkled a little on there, will check on her in 20 min or so.

Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm trying my best but I would really appreciate any additional insight!

Thanks
Carolyn

Do you have any honey? If so, apply directly to the prolapse and keep your girl in a dark place to try and prevent her from laying any further eggs at the moment - if you have prep-h you can use that in place of honey, honey has healing properties and does help shrink the prolapse.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Suzie

Hmm, we have tried sugar and honey both but no change yet. I have her in a crate in the basement with some food water and shavings, I'll turn the light off and see if that helps. Should I try to push it back in? Every time I've tried she's freaked out and struggled which pushed it back out. I don't want to block her vent but I was thinking about trying to strap it in there... I'll keep you posted.

Hmm, we have tried sugar and honey both but no change yet. I have her in a crate in the basement with some food water and shavings, I'll turn the light off and see if that helps. Should I try to push it back in? Every time I've tried she's freaked out and struggled which pushed it back out. I don't want to block her vent but I was thinking about trying to strap it in there... I'll keep you posted.
I'd replace the shavings with a towel, clean off her vent with saline and/or Betadine, cover in Prep-H, push it back in, reduce feed to slow egg production and wait. My duck spent two weeks in my bathroom, but her prolapse was very bad.

When my ducks had their prolapses I used Prep-H and honey. I tried the sugar and it really hurt their sore bottoms. I treated them every two hours for a week, and each time I had to push their vent back in. I kept them in dark closets but couldn't keep them from laying eggs. They all recovered and are doing well.

When my ducks had their prolapses I used Prep-H and honey. I tried the sugar and it really hurt their sore bottoms. I treated them every two hours for a week, and each time I had to push their vent back in. I kept them in dark closets but couldn't keep them from laying eggs. They all recovered and are doing well.
I read that if you cut way back on their food that they will eventually stop laying. Mine laid three eggs then stopped.

Dealing with a similar situation now, thanks for the honey idea. My poor girls first egg got her egg bound and she prolapsed. I got the egg back in but she’s still bit prolapsed and hasn’t passed that egg yet.. hope it works. She’s had nutridrench and in a dark crate with a towel and probiotic water.

Back
Top Bottom