Sugar Free Jams, Jellies and Butters Any Help?

The one we use is fructose, which is fruit sugar. It's not the same as high fructose corn syrup. It doesn't give any of my desserts any after taste. I just substitute sugar with fructose with any recipe. Sometimes you have to use a little less fructose because it's pretty sweet and it does not affect the blood sugar like regular sugar.

Just to make sure you know -- you CANNOT simply substitute splenda or anythng else into a jelly/jam/preserve/marmalade recipe written for regular sugar; nor can you just decide to decrease the amount of sugar from what the recipe calls for.

Sugar in jelly/jam/etc recipes is not just for taste, it a) has to be there in the correct amount to make the pectin jell -- to much or too little, and you've made a dessert sauce
smile.png
; and b) is the main reason why jellies/jams/etc are "preserved" i.e. don't go bad. Yeah, the waterbath processing kills germs but once the product is opened a low- or no-sugar jelly/jam/whatever will spoil faster, even when refrigerated.

Some of the low or no-sugar jelly/jam/etc things can be pretty good indeed, but you gots to use a recipe designed specially for that kind of product, and expect them to have a much shorter shelf-life in the fridge.

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom