suggestion

After cogitating over this issue for a while, I've come to the conclusion that it would not be wise to make general location a required field. Yes, it would be a convenience when communicating with folks, but it would be a subtle removal of freedom that may not be in the best interests of all concerned. thanks all for a lively discussion! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

After cogitating over this issue for a while, I've come to the conclusion that it would not be wise to make general location a required field. Yes, it would be a convenience when communicating with folks, but it would be a subtle removal of freedom that may not be in the best interests of all concerned. thanks all for a lively discussion! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
It's an important topic. Glad you brought it up. :)

They are not given warnings when they sign up. When anyone registers they have to affirm they are 13 or over. Minors are given warnings/infractions if they post identifying themselves as minors or other personal information along with it on the forum.
Question about this. I have seen a few threads where someone asked someone's age as them being college aged or older was kind of important and gotten the reply that they were a minor. They did not give an age, just stated that they were a minor. I have also seen a few where the person stated that they are in high school which strongly implies that they are a minor. Are those things allowed? Sometimes knowing that the person is a kid is helpful when giving advice, though I understand not wanting them telling the world their exact age or personal details.

Question about this. I have seen a few threads where someone asked someone's age as them being college aged or older was kind of important and gotten the reply that they were a minor. They did not give an age, just stated that they were a minor. I have also seen a few where the person stated that they are in high school which strongly implies that they are a minor. Are those things allowed? Sometimes knowing that the person is a kid is helpful when giving advice, though I understand not wanting them telling the world their exact age or personal details.
No one should be asking the age of anyone and no one should be identifying themselves as a minor. Helpful or not, the internet is not a place to advertise yourself to a predator.

Now that my raging paranoia fire has been fueled and fanned, suppose I goofed and posted too much to evade being easily stalked by creepy guy - is changing that info after the fact a worthwhile possibiliy? :confused:

Now that my raging paranoia fire has been fueled and fanned, suppose I goofed and posted too much to evade being easily stalked by creepy guy - is changing that info after the fact a worthwhile possibiliy? :confused:
You can go into your "Account" and change any details you have entered at any time.
Personal Details

Someone could see you in the street and follow you home if they took a fancy to you, so I'm not sure why there is this need to feel vulnerable by giving a general location online.
I'm with @lazy gardener that a mandatory general location (state/county or even just country) would be beneficial. Not just from a climate/season/disease prevalence point of view, but also products, services, laws and breed spec vary from country to country and can make a big difference to advice given.

Back
Top Bottom