Solved Suggestion

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
I was on another site and noticed that they have this announcement at the bottom of the page right above the text box that says this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.

And I just thought that that was such a great idea and might stop some of the necroposting we are seeing here. And wondered if it would be possible to implement something like that here?

It wouldn’t have to be on every thread but maybe over a certain age. The ones I was looking at were like 10-11 years old. Maybe over 5 years or something? Idk the specifics but just thought I would suggest it.

Thoughts?

That's actually a good idea. They need to implement that on all the old post.

Kind of suxs to respond to a wall not knowing if there will be a response cause you didn't check the date first.
Thanks and yeah it does suck!
Or lock all the old post so no one can respond to it.
That’s a good idea too!

The topic of old-threads (and what to do with them) has come up lots of times over the years.

Each time we definitely decide that we won't close/lock them. We feel that the cons of locking outweigh the pros.

That said, we have talked about implementing some kind of "notice" similar to what you're talking about... but even there, we really don't like to discourage people from posting.

So, as of right now, even if it's rare, there are times when a really old thread has timeless "evergreen" information and legit opportunity for starting back up again, and we think that's worth allowing old threads to get some new life.

(That said, if the OP of a thread really feels strongly about their thread not being bumped, they can report the thread and ask that it be locked, and our team will review)

The topic of old-threads (and what to do with them) has come up lots of times over the years.

Each time we definitely decide that we won't close/lock them. We feel that the cons of locking outweigh the pros.

That said, we have talked about implementing some kind of "notice" similar to what you're talking about... but even there, we really don't like to discourage people from posting.

So, as of right now, even if it's rare, there are times when a really old thread has timeless "evergreen" information and legit opportunity for starting back up again, and we think that's worth allowing old threads to get some new life.

(That said, if the OP of a thread really feels strongly about their thread not being bumped, they can report the thread and ask that it be locked, and our team will review)
Thanks Nifty!

I was on another site and noticed that they have this announcement at the bottom of the page right above the text box that says this:

And I just thought that that was such a great idea and might stop some of the necroposting we are seeing here. And wondered if it would be possible to implement something like that here?

It wouldn’t have to be on every thread but maybe over a certain age. The ones I was looking at were like 10-11 years old. Maybe over 5 years or something? Idk the specifics but just thought I would suggest it.

Thoughts?
How about any post older than 5 years or hasn't been responded to in a year or something.
Having a bunch of people piggybacking on an old, vaguely similar issue post creates a terrible amount of clutter and if I see that the thread has multiple responses, I assume the issue has been dealt with so the latest poster that has reopened it doesn't get help.

How about any post older than 5 years or hasn't been responded to in a year or something.
Having a bunch of people piggybacking on an old, vaguely similar issue post creates a terrible amount of clutter and if I see that the thread has multiple responses, I assume the issue has been dealt with so the latest poster that has reopened it doesn't get help.
That’s a great idea

Back
Top Bottom