Suggestions for a coop camera that live streams to a desktop?

EmmaDonovan

Crowing
Jul 13, 2020
Southern Arizona
I'm having a hard time finding a simple camera to continuously stream video and sound from the coop to a desktop computer (not a phone!) about fifteen feet away. It also needs to have overnight recording and local storage. Wifi. Plug in power. That's it.

It's not really a security camera as much as an outdoor baby monitor.

It does not need bells and whistles like: color night vision, pan/tilt/zoom, POE, two-way audio, voice activation, spotlights, light/sound/motion triggers, cloud storage, Alexa/Google coordination, person/pet/package detection, alerts, multiple users, clip sharing, or any subscriptions.

Our weather includes temps from freezing to 120F, occasional light snow, and some pretty violent thunder/lightning storms in the summer. The camera will have cover.

Since I'm trying to find something simple I don't want to pay for a lot of stuff I'll never use so I'm trying not to spend more than $100.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding a simple camera to continuously stream video and sound from the coop to a desktop computer (not a phone!) about fifteen feet away. It also needs to have overnight recording and local storage. Wifi. Plug in power. That's it.

It's not really a security camera as much as an outdoor baby monitor.

It does not need bells and whistles like: color night vision, pan/tilt/zoom, POE, two-way audio, voice activation, spotlights, light/sound/motion triggers, cloud storage, Alexa/Google coordination, person/pet/package detection, alerts, multiple users, clip sharing, or any subscriptions.

Our weather includes temps from freezing to 120F, occasional light snow, and some pretty violent thunder/lightning storms in the summer. The camera will have cover.

Since I'm trying to find something simple I don't want to spend more than $100.
Try looking at Trailcampro.com, it's got some good cameras in my opinion.

Ummm possibly ring doorbell.
Tactacam reveal cell cameras don't do live feed but send the photos videos to any device you have the app on, right after photo is taken. It cost some money but nothing too bad. It is motion activated. It's what I use to track deer/turkey activity in a certain area.

I have a camera by Foscam in the coop. It wasn't super cheap, but it also does pan/tilt/zoom which is what I mainly bought it for. It does everything else you are looking for. It will live stream to a program installed on my desktop or an app on my cell phone. They have cloud storage or you can save to a memory card you have to buy separately for the camera. Wifi or hardwired internet connection, plug in power.

You can take a look at the rest of their line up to see if there's something cheaper that will still work for you.

I will say that playing back stored videos from the local SD card is kinda spotty. I usually just wait until the cloud storage is advertised as on sale and pick up a year's cloud storage for $20. They very frequently run sales on cloud storage or cameras. I actually have 4 Foscam cameras total, just not all connected to the desktop as I more frequently check it from the app on my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BHY4MV47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1711675514237.png

I have a wireless blink camera in my coop and run, I love them! You can set them up to record whatever length or specific times you want, live steam anytime. I got a 2 pack on sale for $80 and bought the USB flash drive for storage. I have zero complaints

We bought a TP-Link Tapo C120 and ended up returning it because we couldn't get it to connect with the network.

We replaced it with a Reolink Lumus and that's working well.

Back
Top Bottom