Suggestions for app-activated coop doors?

Bit of an update, I cut out a door out of plexiglass using a CNC, then took an extending arm and hooked it up to a motor which runs on a timer, and can also be controlled by Alexa. So I downloaded the Alexa app on my phone, and just say "Alexa, turn off chicken door" to open it, and "Alexa, turn on chicken door." To close it. Work amazingly.

Also now I have two coop doors, which is great because I was worried about the security of the other one anyways.

The only problem with this door is it closes slowly, but it does not stop if it hits something so it could possibly crush someone in an unlikely scenario.

So to combat this I plan on doing some photo eyes like you see in a garage door.

View attachment 2883263View attachment 2883264View attachment 2883265
Did you ever make the "photo eyes" ? I'm trying to figure out how to do the same with my DIY coop door.

Bit of an update, I cut out a door out of plexiglass using a CNC, then took an extending arm and hooked it up to a motor which runs on a timer, and can also be controlled by Alexa. So I downloaded the Alexa app on my phone, and just say "Alexa, turn off chicken door" to open it, and "Alexa, turn on chicken door." To close it. Work amazingly.

Also now I have two coop doors, which is great because I was worried about the security of the other one anyways.

The only problem with this door is it closes slowly, but it does not stop if it hits something so it could possibly crush someone in an unlikely scenario.

So to combat this I plan on doing some photo eyes like you see in a garage door.

View attachment 2883263View attachment 2883264View attachment 2883265
I know it's been a few months but this site was suggesting this thread so.....

This is very nice setup and I was even going to suggest this same sort of setup but read down to this comment you posted showing your work. Looks great!

I purchased the same MHCOZY 4CH WiFi RF Wireless Switch. It works but ended up not liking it due to its overly difficult mounting and wiring. I say overly compared to the SONOFF. Difficult because you have to take it apart, then wire it up, hold the sides in place to put the front plate back on, then mount. Like yours, if a person wants to add lights or anything else, they will have to unmount, take it apart and hold it up while wiring, hold the sides in place while putting the front plate on, then remount. Not good. I eventually cut a window in the front plate, with a Dremel, so that the crews are accessible without taking it apart. Plus I like using DIN rail for mounting components and this does not have that capability. So I used a DIN rail mounting bracket. I do like that the DC input is screw terminals and not needing a 2.1x5.5MM DC Power Jack Plug Adapter. The SONOFF needs one.

20220424_045739.jpg

However instead I will be using the SONOFF 4CHPROR3 . It does everything the one you are using but can be mounted way easier (built-in DID rail mount, plus side screw holes) and all the terminals are already accessible without any modification. Here it is in a demo video I posted.

To anyone wanting to do this, please don't get discouraged when you see the wiring up on the board. This is a test board with Linear Actuator where I test out most of my wiring setups, so it has to accommodate a multitude of components. The setup I am proposing only needs a limit switch on top and pressures switch/bar, that anyone can make, on bottom of door.

I will be posting a video of JUST the SONOFF and Linear Actuator as soon as my second SONOFF gets here this week. Yes I purchased a second one JUST for the purpose of showing the plain jane version of a SONOFF chicken door setup, for people to consider.

Wiring diagrams and info on both here.

Again I like your setup. Very NICE. Did you get an RF Remote as well? I like that both modules come with remote capabilities.

Well done! That is fantastic!!! I'm impressed!

You should totally write an article. This is something I bet many others are interested in doing.
I too have been wanting to do that but wanted to post the details in a website on my own and link to it, in an article here. Just need to find a good free or cheap web hosting platform.

I do have some Wiring diagrams and info here.

Did you ever make the "photo eyes" ? I'm trying to figure out how to do the same with my DIY coop door.
As long as you have a good internet connection and WiFi near the SONOFF 4CHPROR3 or the MHCOZY 4CH WiFi RF Wireless Switch, you can set it to open and close at sunrise and sunset. It make use of the Astronomical calendar in eWeLink. You can link eWeLink to google home, and I don't see why it can't with Alexa. Can be set to open or close 30min earlier or later also. So if all you want is for it to open and close according to sunrise and sunset times, you can do it without using a photo eye.

If you want to install one anyway it can be done. However I personally don't see ANY way to do it that provides advantage or be worth any extra wiring.

OOPS disregard my previous post. When I read photo eyes I thought you meant Photocell as in using daylight to open and close the door. Leaving it up because it still true.

But as to making it so the door does not close on a chicken that can actually be done.

I have 2 videos showing it can be done. They are just demos that it can be done but they are a bit cluttered with other components so it seems like it is overly complicated but it really isn't. Well it's not since I have already done all the figuring and testing AND made diagrams.

This one is done with a pressure switch and 1 external limit switch. Uses a Triple Pole Double Throw relay to make the 'magic" happen. (There are other ways to do it with combinations of relays or with a board meant to do something like this.) An optional but almost necessary (with this setup) thing is a counter relay. It will limit the the times the door will try and close. If a chicken is rushing to get it and bumps the pressure switch and the door will go back up to the top then try again. If there is an obstruction the door will try up to the limit you set and will stay closed at the most closed position.

This one is done with almost any laser through beam, defused beam or reflected beam that you want. However with this one the door will remain in the open position if an obstruction is still in the doors path. The first part of the video I am just running through the different configurations it can be used with. Manual, Photocell, or Timers the Safety feature can be added to most existing automatic door setups. setups. My apologies for not securing the laser. You will see me have to adjust it back into alignment.

I like the first one better, since it takes less wiring, less power and is easier to make the switch compared to buying and wiring photoeyes. Even tho, on the second one, I spent a bit of money on the parts and time waiting for them, plus all the time spent on figuring & getting it right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom