Suggestions for chicken breeds for kids?

My grandson will be 4yrs this summer, now obviously he can only "aid" in the care but we would like a generally friendly, docile breed recommendation, winter hardy please, long and can be very cold winters here, we've owned chickens for years but what is left is either not hand raised and/or pretty old so not suitable for him, he enjoys helping but we want to start the process from the beginning again so we will get sexed chicks.

Probably will sort him his own coop vs trying to mingle with our older ladies currently here. Decent egg laying would be good but not a 1# priority, might free range but may not my predator risk here can be a bit intense, don't want anything happening to his babies, so a larger penned area will made.

Thanks!
I have a Rainbow Dixie. She is a large hen very hardy in the heat and cold. Temperament: Super sweet.

Thanks, @MysteryChicken ! I have admired the silkies--I thought they were all smallies. Now I NEED some! :ya :ya :ya
In the US all silkies are bantam but in Europe they have LF silkies. I did get some silkies for TSC a few years ago that were huge and mean.
My friend pick them up for me and I was expecting the silkies I saw on Google was surprised when I saw these. They were 8 weeks old in this photo and 3x the size of my 12 week old silkies.
FF80678E-4A1A-4801-8F15-7A3D8A120349.jpeg

I agree with all these choices. My first chicken was a mixed Polish. Her mother was a golden laced Polish but don't know what the father was. She looked like a Polish but was black, although you could faintly see the lacing, kind of like you can faintly see the spots on a black leopard. She was very calm and gentle. I'd add Cochins to this list. Never had any, but I hear Sussex are calm and gentle too.

My grandson will be 4yrs this summer, now obviously he can only "aid" in the care but we would like a generally friendly, docile breed recommendation, winter hardy please, long and can be very cold winters here, we've owned chickens for years but what is left is either not hand raised and/or pretty old so not suitable for him, he enjoys helping but we want to start the process from the beginning again so we will get sexed chicks.

Probably will sort him his own coop vs trying to mingle with our older ladies currently here. Decent egg laying would be good but not a 1# priority, might free range but may not my predator risk here can be a bit intense, don't want anything happening to his babies, so a larger penned area will made.

Thanks!
One word. Brahmas. We get snow here too and the males & females do quite well in it. In fact, they're the only ones who go out into the snow...along with our German shepherd. Here's a pic of our "Mr Sophie" with my daughter. He also comes in the house, sits on the couch, and watches the telly. Ayla and Sophie.jpg ayla and so.jpg

I love my Brahmas. They are so kind. They are the sweetest chicken I know.

Truly, they are. When my daughter was really young, they were one of the breeds that would let her put "chick" diapers on them, push them around in the stroller, play school, etc. And the few people we do get out here (mostly delivery drivers) crack up when they roll into the house while I'm signing for packages. Not only do the kiddos love them, but strangers too!

Thanks!
We’ve enjoyed a diversity of breeds, including australorps and Orpingtons. The friendliest ever are our two Welsummers. Talkative (really talkative), they hurry over first whenever I am in the yard, hang out on the deck if I am working in the kitchen, come into the house with the cat and dog if I don’t watch it! Easy to learn how to handle. Only hens that will literally eat out of my hand or a spoon if loose. I love all my girls, but have a special place in my heart for these two. Bottom of pecking order currently, but snuggle together. We’re in Colorado and they handle the cold well. Small combs, pretty colors as well. Tend to get broody. Good luck!

We’ve enjoyed a diversity of breeds, including australorps and Orpingtons. The friendliest ever are our two Welsummers. Talkative (really talkative), they hurry over first whenever I am in the yard, hang out on the deck if I am working in the kitchen, come into the house with the cat and dog if I don’t watch it! Easy to learn how to handle. Only hens that will literally eat out of my hand or a spoon if loose. I love all my girls, but have a special place in my heart for these two. Bottom of pecking order currently, but snuggle together. We’re in Colorado and they handle the cold well. Small combs, pretty colors as well. Tend to get broody. Good luck!
p.s. decent layers, deep red brown eggs, pretty

Back
Top Bottom