Suggestions for chicken breeds for kids?

Pics
My grandson will be 4yrs this summer, now obviously he can only "aid" in the care but we would like a generally friendly, docile breed recommendation, winter hardy please, long and can be very cold winters here, we've owned chickens for years but what is left is either not hand raised and/or pretty old so not suitable for him, he enjoys helping but we want to start the process from the beginning again so we will get sexed chicks.

Probably will sort him his own coop vs trying to mingle with our older ladies currently here. Decent egg laying would be good but not a 1# priority, might free range but may not my predator risk here can be a bit intense, don't want anything happening to his babies, so a larger penned
My grandson will be 4yrs this summer, now obviously he can only "aid" in the care but we would like a generally friendly, docile breed recommendation, winter hardy please, long and can be very cold winters here, we've owned chickens for years but what is left is either not hand raised and/or pretty old so not suitable for him, he enjoys helping but we want to start the process from the beginning again so we will get sexed chicks.

Probably will sort him his own coop vs trying to mingle with our older ladies currently here. Decent egg laying would be good but not a 1# priority, might free range but may not my predator risk here can be a bit intense, don't want anything happening to his babies, so a larger penned area will made.

Thanks!
Orpington hens would be an excellent choice. I have a Lavender Orpington that craves my attention. She is big, soft and fluffy, and very docile. The big tan eggs she lays are wonderful. And she is very winter hardy.

For your situation i would recomend chickens with rose combs and feather feet .
The brahama fits the bill exactly. They are a friendly breed also for the kids.
I love sussex but they have a straight comb. Frostbite is not pleasant.
I would not recomend silkys in real cold climates. They are kind of fragle with no feathering to conserve warmth.
There are other more exotic chioces if you want to go with a smaller chickens
Good luck in your search.

Probably will sort him his own coop vs trying to mingle with our older ladies currently here. Decent egg laying would be good but not a 1# priority, might free range but may not my predator risk here can be a bit intense, don't want anything happening to his babies, so a larger penned area will made.

Thanks!
What about ducks? They will actually follow your grandson, the eggs are better and don’t crack as easily. Very child friendly!

My silkies and polish are super friendly. I would highly recommend those.
I don't recommend Polish for a 4 year old. I had white crested black polish and buff polish. All were hand raised with lots of love yet they were extremely flighty and the white crested polish rooster was quite mean. He attacked me several times. When he bloodied my head that was the last straw. He made soup for a neighbor and I was very glad to be rid of him.

I haven't seen cochins yet on the list of friendly birds. While they aren't great producers of eggs they are cold hardy & the sweetest birds in my flock of 55 birds. My Cochins are also the best mothers I have. I would highly recommend a Cochin for a 4 year old child.

I haven't seen cochins yet on the list of friendly birds. While they aren't great producers of eggs they are cold hardy & the sweetest birds in my flock of 55 birds. My Cochins are also the best mothers I have. I would highly recommend a Cochin for a 4 year old child.
I love my fanny! She's our 5 year old black bantam cochin and is especially sweet!! ^This is a good suggestion :love

Back
Top Bottom