Suggestions for chicken breeds for kids?

Salmon Favorelles-Large, gentle giants-lay large eggs-make great pets.
aabigboy with puppy.jpg

This last spring I got black Australorps for the first time, it was an experiment and I wasn't expecting a lot out of them just curious about the breed. I was busy with an ill family member and had no time to spend extra on them so expected them to be a bit wild. To my shock I've never had such a friendly trio of chickens.
One of them I named Cuddlebug runs a snuggle toll booth on the ramp to the hen house. Refusing to go inside in the evenings until I've picked her up and snuggled her. I don't know if this is just the particular breeder I happened to get the chicks from or if its normal for the breed but it sure is fun.
Other than that I agree with the others on Orpingtons, EE's Faverolles and maybe add Barred Rocks.

silkies, pekin bantam, brahma, light Sussex or easter Eggers
all these breeds are calm. and I know people that own silkies, brahma and easter Eggers for there kids and love them. all these breeds love cuddles. and the easter egger can lay green egg which some kids find really cool

My grandson is 4 and loves to help with our birds. We have Salmon Faverolles, Polish, Cochin and Columbian Wyandotte’s. All are super friendly with him and pretty laid back

My grandson will be 4yrs this summer, now obviously he can only "aid" in the care but we would like a generally friendly, docile breed recommendation, winter hardy please, long and can be very cold winters here, we've owned chickens for years but what is left is either not hand raised and/or pretty old so not suitable for him, he enjoys helping but we want to start the process from the beginning again so we will get sexed chicks.

Probably will sort him his own coop vs trying to mingle with our older ladies currently here. Decent egg laying would be good but not a 1# priority, might free range but may not my predator risk here can be a bit intense, don't want anything happening to his babies, so a larger penned area will made.

Thanks!
I love my Golden Comets. They love attention. They don't seem to have a pecking order either.

Do you have to keep them separate to protect them from the bigger chickens?
Mine have no problems with other breeds. Mine are larger then bantams, at least most of them.
I have both Bantam, & Standard sized Silkies. The other larger birds don't mess with my bantam silkies.

It all depends on the birds themselves.

Back
Top Bottom