Suggestions for chicken breeds for kids?

My experience is...
Chickens are nasty (step in poop and then their food and water)
and kids are nasty (pick boogers and always have fingers in nose and mouth). Hehe.

Docile breeds or not, they will trade germs. Just make sure the kids wash or sanitize their hands before and after handling chickens.

:lol: He's a farm kid, he definitely is used to germs lol.

Easter Eggers are generally pretty cold hardy and come in almost every color possible, and the possibility of different colored eggs should be appealing to a child. My friendliest chicken is an EE.
Mine too! I’m not sure why... she just comes up to me and sits and waits for me to pick her up. I tell everyone new to chickens to get Buffs.

Bantam Amerucana! They are super personable if you handle them before they hit the skittish stage and get all independent. Mine are all chatty and love being held. They'll fly over and land on me just for a pet...or a sandwich. House chicken material for sure. Every one I sell ends up with house privileges.

My experience is...
Chickens are nasty (step in poop and then their food and water)
and kids are nasty (pick boogers and always have fingers in nose and mouth). Hehe.

Docile breeds or not, they will trade germs. Just make sure the kids wash or sanitize their hands before and after handling chickens.
The right chicken will pick the kids boogers for them.

Bantam Amerucana! They are super personable if you handle them before they hit the skittish stage and get all independent. Mine are all chatty and love being held. They'll fly over and land on me just for a pet...or a sandwich. House chicken material for sure. Every one I sell ends up with house privileges.

LOL NO house chickens!! I mean we start them in the house unless they are with a mama we are suckers that way... but that is where i draw the line. :plbb

My buff orpingtons, barred rocks, and golden buffs are very friendly but I made a baby out of a black sex link. She is very nice and likes to follow me around. When she was a chick and we had her inside she would climb all over me and let me hold and pet her

Back
Top Bottom