Suggestions for dealing with my duck biting me

Marysducks

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2020
I have 2 jumbo pekins, both drakes. One has recently starting biting me. I have tried the holding still on the ground and not letting him go til he stops wiggling. Sometimes it's helps .I guess I am trying to understand his behavior and not get mad at him but I have bruises all over me. I would appreciate any advice. Would cbd oil help him chill? Or something else? Sorry if I didn't post this in the right place, I'm new :)

I has this problem with my chicken so i don’t know if it’s the same but you could try putting your hand over it’s mouth so it can’t bite you until it learns not to do that. (Sorry for my run on sentence)

I have 2 jumbo pekins, both drakes. One has recently starting biting me. I have tried the holding still on the ground and not letting him go til he stops wiggling. Sometimes it's helps .I guess I am trying to understand his behavior and not get mad at him but I have bruises all over me. I would appreciate any advice. Would cbd oil help him chill? Or something else? Sorry if I didn't post this in the right place, I'm new :)
Roast duck is delicious. Be sure to cook him with potatoes.

You hold him til he stops wiggling but do you then keep holding him and humiliate him thoroughly? Do you hold his head down on the ground as well as pinning his body? If you just hold him on the ground with his head free it’s not going to work either. And if you’re going to pin him you have to mean it and follow through every single time, no matter what. For a period of time that feels ridiculous to you. He’s not a dog, and while they do learn voice cues, he has to be taught in ways he’ll understand.
I have a very spoiled drake that was a surprise drake. I raised him from hatch, as a lone duckling. (Terrible idea, don’t ever do it.) he was so cute and friendly! Until his hormones kicked in and he wasn’t. He would bite, he would pinch, he would try to mate with my feet... my hand... whatever he could get a hold of. I started pinning him every time he’d run up to me like this; I would also “peck” him with my finger like another drake would if he was trying to assert himself. If he sneak attacked me, I would turn and peck him in the shoulder until he removed himself from my space. It took probably 6 weeks or more, but he is now a respectful but still friendly drake, who will come sit at my feet. If he decides to try to assert himself again, I literally point my finger at him and he moves himself out of my space.
Also. Your duck is biting you. Do not feed him by hand. If feeding treats, place them on the ground or in a dish. Don’t give him any conflicting signals on when it’s ok to grab at your hands, even if it’s to get food. :)

Thank you for all the helpful tips. I will give them a try. Glad to know I shouldn't be giving treats by hand, your logic makes perfect sense:)

:lau:lau Roll him a joint, probably chill him out and make a great photo op, better yet do it for both of them! Be like Cheech and Chong :lau
Seriously, I have one hens who is a royal pain when it comes to being handled, or me handling other ducks, she will bite and peck and pinch, she’s just rotten. I wish you luck but from what I see, training ducks is worse than herding cats, they only way they are compliant is if it tickles their own fancy.

You hold him til he stops wiggling but do you then keep holding him and humiliate him thoroughly? Do you hold his head down on the ground as well as pinning his body? If you just hold him on the ground with his head free it’s not going to work either. And if you’re going to pin him you have to mean it and follow through every single time, no matter what. For a period of time that feels ridiculous to you. He’s not a dog, and while they do learn voice cues, he has to be taught in ways he’ll understand.
I have a very spoiled drake that was a surprise drake. I raised him from hatch, as a lone duckling. (Terrible idea, don’t ever do it.) he was so cute and friendly! Until his hormones kicked in and he wasn’t. He would bite, he would pinch, he would try to mate with my feet... my hand... whatever he could get a hold of. I started pinning him every time he’d run up to me like this; I would also “peck” him with my finger like another drake would if he was trying to assert himself. If he sneak attacked me, I would turn and peck him in the shoulder until he removed himself from my space. It took probably 6 weeks or more, but he is now a respectful but still friendly drake, who will come sit at my feet. If he decides to try to assert himself again, I literally point my finger at him and he moves himself out of my space.
Also. Your duck is biting you. Do not feed him by hand. If feeding treats, place them on the ground or in a dish. Don’t give him any conflicting signals on when it’s ok to grab at your hands, even if it’s to get food. :)
Your post is wonderful, we also have a lone drake that just got his hormones going. We have bruises and marks all over our hands and arms(people are starting to ask,lol).
So just keep on pinning him down when he is in a frisky mood(we can tell when he is about to bite). He is the sweetest the majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom