Suggestions for discouraging crowing (very temporarily)

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
Oh my, one of my 7.5 week old Cornish X (with 4 days to go til processing) started trying to crow this morning! We are very close to neighbors and very much in suburbia, and my meaties have been under the radar thus far so I'd rather not advertise my chicken habit in this manner.
1f61c.png

Anything I can do to discourage for a few days? I read letting them out a little later, which I can do (they overnight in the garage). Also can throw some scratch out to distract. Anyone have suggestions? Will he ERP-ERP for awhile longer before I get an all out crow?

Not having raised meat birds before, I am wondering...does putting off processing for 4 days make much difference?

Why not go ahead and do it now if there's concern about the neighbors being disturbed?

Let them out later, then he'll just be trying to crow for a shorter period during the day. Four days won't put that much more meat on them. You might want to consider processing earlier than planned.

They have a date with processor, not doing it at home. Neighbors close, don't have equipment and little kids underfoot. Although I could attempt that one if it becomes an issue, I suppose...

Young roosters learning to crow usually have to practice a while before they get the full-throated crowing down.

Your neighbors may well think you're drowning a cat, or torturing a small goat, or something like that, instead of a rooster crowing
lol.png

Ok, that's helpful... He's just ERP-ERPing loudly now, so as long as he doesn't start all-out crowing right away, we're good. :)

Back
Top Bottom