Suggestions for integrating new geese into an existing flock?

GandalfGoose

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
I have an existing flock of 8, 2 year old geese who are very friendly and really like people and I recently brought home three 1 year old geese. Long story short the 3 geese are pretty terrified of everything and don't really act like normal geese in my opinion. I am trying to get all of them to get along in one group. Is this even possible? What would be the best way to go about doing so if it is? How concerned should I be about my existing flock picking up "bad habits" (being scared of everything) from the new geese?

I'm sorry I do not have any answers for you GandalfGoose! I've been wanting help with introducing a new goose for my 4 yr old gander (coyote got Daisy). In addition to help with introductions, I also wonder if it is necessary to get the same breed. My gander is white Chinese and so was his mate. I'm afraid I don't have many options in this area. These are the only geese I've ever had, so I know next to nothing. I enjoy them immensely, but David (the gander) is very lonely now! I recently brought in a rooster for my 6 hens that were raised with my geese and now the rooster chases David away from the hens. I know there are some very knowledgeable people here so I'm hoping for some good information.

I know the feeling Grannyh! The flock of eight are my first geese ever so I am learning quite a bit with them. I have also experienced the geese getting bullied recently. I got some guineas to eat the outrageous amount of bugs by our house, but when I finally started letting the guineas free range they started keeping the geese out of the barn and their food during the day. I don't think I really like guineas that much :) I don't imagine that the breed should matter, especially if your guy is very lonely. I think that keeping the same breed is probably more person preference rather than goose preference.

I have an existing flock of 8, 2 year old geese who are very friendly and really like people and I recently brought home three 1 year old geese. Long story short the 3 geese are pretty terrified of everything and don't really act like normal geese in my opinion. I am trying to get all of them to get along in one group. Is this even possible? What would be the best way to go about doing so if it is? How concerned should I be about my existing flock picking up "bad habits" (being scared of everything) from the new geese?
Welcome to BYC

Best way to introduce newbies to an existing flock is to let them live side by side with temp fencing in between. This way they can all get use to each other and squabbling is kept to minimal. I would think with your geese being the older and more settled they would rub off on the new ones. Just spend time out there with them to show your new ones there is nothing to be afraid of. Geese don't care much for change and being up rooted from their last home is pretty traumatic for them, give them time and company they'll come around.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I do not have any answers for you GandalfGoose! I've been wanting help with introducing a new goose for my 4 yr old gander (coyote got Daisy). In addition to help with introductions, I also wonder if it is necessary to get the same breed. My gander is white Chinese and so was his mate. I'm afraid I don't have many options in this area. These are the only geese I've ever had, so I know next to nothing. I enjoy them immensely, but David (the gander) is very lonely now! I recently brought in a rooster for my 6 hens that were raised with my geese and now the rooster chases David away from the hens. I know there are some very knowledgeable people here so I'm hoping for some good information.
It will not matter to your gander what breed of goose you bring home, he needs a companion right now and having a roo stress him out isn't helping. When you find him a friend might be a good idea to let them get to know each other away from the roo. Hopefully once the two geese bond he'll feel brave enough to put Mr. Roo in his place. Introductions need to be similar to what I recc for GabdalfGoose slow introductions to start.

I had my gander 5 yrs before I brought home a female goose for him, He was bonded to Muscovy ducks , it took him a while to realize he was a goose. But they are inseparable now He is Embden she is Toulouse. My other pair are Toulouse/American Buff.

Thank you so much for the advice Miss Lydia! Now I need to find a goose nearby!

I hope you can find one and please let us know when you do. Have you checked craigslist and also we have a rehoming and buy sell trades threads right here on BYC plus if you go to Where am i where are you and look up NM you can talk to members in your state who maybe able to help you.

hmmmm My husband wanted me to get some guineas but I'm glad I didn't. My roo is enough trouble. He chases the gander away from his feed and his shelter. :-( I'm glad Miss Lydia answered our posts. I've read her good advice before. Good luck GandalfGoose!

I did check Craig's list. One group was gone already and the other just had pairs. I will keep checkig! :) I posted on the NM thread but haven't gone through the buy sell trade here on BYC. I found it a bit daunting and time consuming. Thanks again!

I did check Craig's list. One group was gone already and the other just had pairs. I will keep checkig! :) I posted on the NM thread but haven't gone through the buy sell trade here on BYC. I found it a bit daunting and time consuming. Thanks again!
rehoming thread too! I'll look too. also do you have any rescues around? might call a ver or check on line to see if there are any water fowl rescues we have one about 2.5 hrs from us here in NC.

Back
Top Bottom