Suggestions for making it through hard times - add some, no whining!

Make sure to compare UNIT prices when shopping (price per pound, ounce, each, or whatever unit the item being sold is measured by). The larger "economy" package is NOT always the cheapest per unit. (my husband gets snookered by this one fairly often...
roll.png
)

STOP USING CREDIT CARDS! If you're not paying off the entire balance every month, you're in the process of digging a hole you may never climb out of. Since debit cards have nearly become universal, most folks don't need a credit card at all. If you MUST have one, get the prepaid kind and you won't incur over the limit fees. When you run out of room on it, you either reload it or you QUIT spending.
smile.png

Pay your bills ON TIME! My mom would love to
smack.gif
my dad because he regularly waits until they get a disconnect notice on things like the light bill before he will pay them. It's not a matter of not having the $ to pay, he just procrastinates like you wouldn't believe. (unfortunately, this seems to be the primary trait I inherited from him
he.gif
) He'll carry the money and the bill around in his truck for a week (or two, or three...) and pay it when they're about to be disconnected. Mom added up the late charges & fees one year, and it came to a couple of HUNDRED dollars. I don't know about you, but I could think of some better ways to spend $200 than giving it to utility companies...

Lots of you already do this, but at least try the homemade laundry detergent. I made the dry kind that only takes the 3 ingredients. I gave some to my mom, and she liked it so well she made big batches of it, put it in pretty jars or canisters and gave it to her sisters and my siblings as part of their Christmas gift. (She didn't give me any b/c she knew I already had some
wink.png
My older sister was so excited about it. I stopped by her house one day after Christmas and she said, "Did Mom give you any of that laundry detergent? Isn't it GREAT?! It takes the grease out of my work uniforms and my husband's work clothes, and even took out some old stains that had been set in". Try it! You may be pleasantly surprised!

Modify your driving habits. Consolidate trips, lay out your route in your mind in advance so you don't end up doubling back or making extra trips. Remember you're not in the Indy 500; don't stomp down on the accelerator and coast when you can. Don't wait until you're 50' from the stop sign or light before you start slowing down. We didn't realize what a difference little things like that can make until we got a hybrid car. (which I HIGHLY recommend if you're in a position to do so!) It has caused my husband and me to be more mindful of HOW we drive, not just where and how often.

edited to correct typo
smile.png

Last edited:
I buy veggies and fruits when they're on sale somewhere cheap, and buy a lot of them and then either freeze, dry, or can them.

Wear whatever can be worn more than once - sweaters/jeans/etc - more than once to save on laundry.

I arranged with the utility companies to have a budgeted amount paid throughout the year which is nice because then I know exactly how much the bill will be each month.

I bought a laundry ball and use that instead of detergent, though I have some dry detergent and washing soda on hand for really gross stains. It's saved money on soap and on electricity and water, since I don't need a rinse cycle. I also use anti-static dryer balls in the dryer instead of dryer sheets.

Wood pellets instead of clay or clumping cat litter - cheaper, cuts smell better, and is compostable. We compost everything.

We buy flour and sugar and most other baking ingredients in bulk and make most of our own foods like breads and pastas. We split orders with another family so we can get volume discounts on things like cheeses and spices and oils.

This year with the economy so bad, That Guy and I really started looking into ways we could save $$$. Growing my own veggies this summer /really/ helped.
-Spooky

Make a weekly meal plan that uses left overs and also uses all ingredience. (make use of the whole bunch of green onions, or celery, or carrots throughout the week...)
Then expand that into a monthly meal plan.
Shop accordingly.
Many meals can be made in advance and frozen like TV dinners.

Find a friend/neighbor/relative to split huge bulk items and split the costs.

Change your own oil.
Water your lawn only once a week.
Grow your own food even if it's just one tomato plant.
Figure out exactly how much shampoo you REALLY need to clean your hair.
Turn down the hot water heater, No one needs liquid steam coming out of the faucet.
TURN OFF THE LIGHTS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE ROOM!
Have printers, tv, vcr, dvd player, computer, sterio, and anything else you THINK you turn off everyday on a powerstrip with an ON/OFF switch. They really use electricity even when turned off.

this summer, open the drapes at night, close them at sunrise to keep out the heat and use less A/C

have all your water pipes insulated(yes even the cold water pipes)

Last edited:
Ummm, we raise chickens to feed us eggs..... We grow a huge garden which I can. I always make double and triple batches of things to can and have on hand. We buy very little processed foods and keep thermostats LOW to conserve. I get my books, clothes and shoes, dishes, blankets and anything else I need used at garage sales if I can find it. I like to barter when I have something I no longer need, I'd prefer to trade it for something I do need.

Another BYC member and I are working together to help each other. We buy in bulk and split the items. Works out cheaper and we get more.

Once a week she comes over and we have a bread baking party. We bake enough bread to last our families a week or longer ( freeze the rest ) and have fun working out other ways to save money.

We are also going in together on meat goats, rabbits, meat chickens and a meat pig. Between the 2 of us we will split costs and care then share the meat. We will do the same with veggie gardens and will work together to freeze and can.

It makes for a great friendship and we have fun working out other ways to save money and help each other. Both families benefit.

I do all of the above really, washing on cold, both for clothes and dishes, and I will not run a dishwasher unless it is full. Both my machines are cold feed.

Love rice, and it is great to store, so I cook rice and eat with a small tin of Tuna, vegetables, or I cook Dahl, with different kinds of lentils, and add my favourite spices. Cook a huge pot of stew with season vegetables, and freeze it in individual servings. I don;t buy processed foods, I make my own wedges of potato and cover them with herbs and spices. Buy cheaper cuts of meat that just need longer to cook or a bit of care in preparation.

Make my own pies and pasties, and last night my son cooked a bread and butter pudding... was lovely and keeps out the cold.

i am alone a lot of the time, so I make soups and things that can be frozen, so I don't waste any. I also knit and sew, make all my own skirts, and jumpers. Curtains, cushions bedding very often, I will have a go at anything I think I can do if I find the right fabric. I have bought a lot of Saris to make things, when they have sales in their shops, a Sari length is about 6 meters.and materials are stunning. I have bought some for as little as £10 which today would be about 9 dollars...lol....or even 10 the way things are going. Our currency is falling at such a rate.

I am also a second hand rose, spending 30 years with 2 boys growing up you learn to make the most of things, so charity shops and second hand places are amazing. We have boot sales here ( like your Yard sales I think) and you can find really good things there, as long as you are careful and don't buy rubbish, or things you don't really need.

It is so good to read your tips, I hae made a mental note of some good ones.

Maybe we will make it through all of this....Hurrah!!!!

I almost forgot, MY 4 beautiful girls in my garden provide me with at least 3 eggs a day, and they provide meals for me, my 2 sons and frequently I can sell them to cover the cost of their feed. Today I went to town and one of the veg merchants is now keeping her cabbages that are not going to sell for me, and I had a large bag of spring cabbage to keep my girls occupied, and all for free.

Jena.

Last edited:
Wow! Really great ideas everyone!
thumbsup.gif

I always check the damaged goods section at my grocery store.
I've found big bottles of salad dressing for 50 cents and yesterday a 50lb bag of rice for $10! They were both about to expire. Still perfectly good to eat.

Quote:
same although I finally got a stop and shop card and they say it will give me coupons based on what I buy. I just got my first one for a free carton of organic milk. I do make nearly everything from scratch. My freezers and pantries are packed after harvest, and if there was not snow on the ground I would be pulling carrots as needed
sad.png

I also put those little insulator pads in all of my outlets to hold in heat They cost very little and we loose a lot of heat from outlets.

I made stuffed old socks to insulate drafty doors at the bottom.

I make my cleaning agents from concentrates or household items so that I do not spend a lot on them. Some of the Shaklee items are great and may seem expensive at first but the concentrated organic super cleaner and washable sponges has saved me quiet a bit. http://www.shaklee.net/susanBD

I
got the "Time of usage" plan with my electric and gas company and now pay based on peak and off peak times. By changing what time I ran the big stuff (laundry, dishwasher etc) I was able to cut my bill in half.
smile.png

I grind up all leftovers that my ds leaves and use it as chicken treats

I collect all of my seeds for replanting the following year so now I only have to buy something new I want to try

If go for 3 day fishing trip and stock my freezer for the entire year cost to me $200-$250 but I get sometimes over a thousand dollars or more in fish that feeds all of us.

I sell crafts

I compost

I never hire anyone for something I can do myself even if it takes a little longer to get done, this excludes major electrical or plumbing work, but I would like to learn!

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I also shop at a Salvage grocery store. Many of their items are far from expiration and are just items being discontinued by other area groceries.

Also it sounds silly but when you go to the grocery use the smaller carts or hand baskets if they have them. Our local grocery just got all new carts and they are HUGE. It helps stop impulse buying and your small cart looks full quicker. The giant carts have so much room that it makes it look like you don't have much, hence you end up getting more items.

My all time favorite item is the giant cans of tomato sauce. Places like Costco and Sams have them for just a couple of $ instead of $1 a small can at the grocery. I turn the large cans into spaghetti sauce, chili etc for a quarter of the cost of small cans. Then I just freeze and use as needed.

Back
Top Bottom