Suggestions for making it through hard times - add some, no whining!

Don't buy ground beef, buy ground turkey.

The ground turkey USED to be cheaper. Now they are both the same price around here. Grrrrrrr.​

Quote:
You got to be very carefull with "on and "off" peak energy deals and analyze your energy using pattern before you jump in.

People do not realize that if they go for it they are being charged lot more per energy unit in their "peak" time that "regular" consumers who did not sign up for this service. The teaser is cheaper energy in "off peak time", but is it worth it?

If you use heating, or air conditioning during "peak time" you are a sucker since you'll be paying more for total energy than without this service.

This deal is good ONLY if your energy use is much higher during "off peak time" than in the peak time.

Remember the biggest energy hogs in a household are:

1.Heating/Air

2. Water heater

3. Rest of appliances, lights etc.

You do not want to use any of first two in your "peak time" or you'd be better off not getting into this thing.

Can you be without heat, air, hot water during the day "peak hours" ?

If your the weekends are "off peak" do not forget that the rest of the week is longer than the weekends.

We shop at Aldi, have the garden, have meat chickens coming March 31, hunting season this fall, and enjoy the fact that all we need in life is each other and not material possions...we enjoy and want simple things.

Next time you wake up and the sun is coming up and it is going to be a beautiful day stop and enjoy it for a second. Remember that God wants us to enjoy what he gave us and he will get us through this troublesome time:D

Quote:
It's one thing to buy a cheapie $20 pair of shoes for kids who are going to grow out of them about 15 minutes after you walk out of the store. It's a whole different mess of back problems, non-healing foot sores, bunions and hammertoe to buy cheapie shoes for yourself. Spring for the good shoes, just get them in some neutral color that goes with everything. Likewise, you're better off spending the $$ on quality work clothes (no matter what kind of work we're talking about here) than to get the cheap stuff that has to be replaced annually. Good quality non-trendy clothes that are made out of fabrics that last (linen, silk, wool for nice stuff, heavy duty Carhartt canvas and the good longjohns for work) always are cheaper in the long run than the trendy polyester / spandex / nylon junk.

YES. Love Terry Pratchett. That quote is from Night Watch, I'm pretty sure, one of my favs.

*cough* Anyway, learn what is cost effective to make yourself! For example, I work at a fabric store. When things go clearance, they could go from $12.99 to $4.00. THEN, wait for clearance to go half off! So it's now $2.00 per yard. I can get an A-line skirt from a yard of 60" fabric. Reupholster chairs, and perhaps cover them with clear vinyl.

And I know coupons for groceries may not always be practical, but at my store (okay, it's JoAnn's) if you get something regular priced, you're being ripped off! There are ALWAYS sales or coupons. On the other hand, if you need a new queen-sized quilt, don't bother making it with store bought fabric. Rip up an old one or try Goodwill. OH. No one has mentioned that Goodwill has days where a certain color price tag will be on sale. It's way worth it. Going to a baby shower? Wait till flannel is half-off (or use a coupon) and make bibs or burp cloths or receiving blankets. A 40x40 receiving blanket plus two bibs will cost around $9.00. Try finding cheaper new baby stuff. (I only say new in this case because I wouldn't give something used at a shower)

couponcabin.com will always have a JoAnn's coupon.

Happy savings~

We've learned over the past years since my grandfather died, you use what you can afford. This means if they had ramen for 10cents, guess what dinner was all week. We got over it or went to friends house. EVERYONE has a hard patch. Thats part of life. Don't waller in misery, it makes it worse!

Quote:
We shop Aldi's too. And I have 4 hunters and fishermen/kids here to help keep ther freezer stocked. We also enjoy the simple things in life. No Wii, gameboys or playstations here. It is outside you go or board/card games.
BTW
welcome-byc.gif

I leave the house with a cup of coffee and no longer spend the 1.20 for a second cup at work. I have herb tea at my desk which cost me about .05 cents a cup to make and I am drinking less caffine.

Small portions of leftover meat become hash by just sauteing onions in olive oil and then add meat cut into bite sized pieces and small pieces of cooked diced potatoes. If you have any leftover gravy it is even better.

Was not ashamed to ask friends with little girls if they still had baby clothes that my son and his wife could use for their baby girl due in June.

Told husband I wanted to sell what we don't use or need on ebay to pay off some old bills. Have a programable thermostat which is set to 55 at night. Up to 68 for an hour to get up and dressed then down again.

Carry food when traveling to save time and money.

Make iced tea or lemonade instead of soda.

Bought a used tiller and have started tilling a few hours every evening after work.

Stay with family and friends when traveling if possible. Let the silkies hatch eggs from the layers instead of ordering from a hatchery. Well 6 so far but I am sure they will go broody again soon.

I also shop at Adli's and Trader Joe's.

Buy what sseeds I can from the feed store. They are a lot cheaper buying that way.

Susan

Last edited:
Electric and gas: CFL bulbs, navy showers, insulation around hot water heater, lights off every room not being used, cold water clothes washing, line drying year round (outside in summer, inside by woodstove in winter), electric tea kettle, load up oven when using at all.

Clothes: Mostly hand-me-downs for the kids, but they're really nice clothes! Secondhand for almost everything else, again very nice quality, like new.

Food: Grow tons of fruits and veggies, which are frozen, canned, dried, eaten fresh about 6 months. Husband hunts and fishes, which gives us quite a bit of meat. We have chickens, so free eggs and roos for meat. Husband works at a family dairy, which gives us milk for a side bennie. Barter eggs for maple syrup and honey, corn and wheat flour. Rarely eat out. No soda. Almost everything from scratch. Rarely processed foods. No matter how much work it makes, we always gratefully accept any extra fruit somebody needs to get rid of in harvest season--we've scored loads of apples, pears and cherries this way! Go to a U-pick for cheap strawberries. Lots of meat-free meals. Loving those eggs, beans and rice
smile.png

Car: Really old, ugly but completely functional; 40 mpg; paid off about 10 years ago
smile.png

House: Refinanced--same length, lower rate.

Entertainment: Love playing games with the kids. Without trying to be cheap, we really just prefer doing things that are already free like going for walks and bike rides, library, museum, zoo, community events. We don't smoke, drink or have a TV, so that saves us a lot.

Misc: Homemade laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent, homemade window cleaner, etc.

Go visit sufficientself.com--see link at the bottom of your screen!

me&thegals

Quote:
Very smart man.

Also... BUY commodities. Things you will be able to barter. Someday a bushel of well stored wheat will be worth more than a bushel of gold.

me&thegals :

Electric and gas: CFL bulbs, navy showers, insulation around hot water heater, me&thegals

Along with the blanket for the electric water heater, get insulation wrap for the hot water pipes. If you can get to them, wrap them - it will help save big. The water in the pipes gets cold so you then have to run the heater longer to get hot water to your taps - especially the long runs in the house. Insulating them will help them hold in the heat keeping the water warmer longer reducing the run time. This not only saves on the cost of running it but also saves on the life of the water heater.​

Back
Top Bottom